free website stats program Noises from the primary | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noises from the primary

Just wanted to follow up and let you all know what I found.

- took the bike for a spin to warm everything up and then drained the primary.
- took off the primary cover and checked the compensator nut with a torque wrench at 65 foot pounds and it was tight. So that was not a problem.
- used brake cleaner on the clutch plates and inside the primary. cleaned up the mess and then used air compressor to clean it out further.
- adjusted the clutch while I had it apart.
- closed up the primary and refilled with 20w50 oil
- took the bike for ride, maybe 10 miles or so, everything was operating good.
- Got it back home and flushed out the oil one more time.
- filled it back up with 20w50 oil and will take it for a ride today.

I am pretty sure that I got primary flushed out pretty good, but think that I may empty out the fluids one more time after 100 miles or so.

IF you did that much clean-up, I doubt you will have problems.

Good job it sounds like. Hope you get Great rides in on your bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Jack for your Back-Up on the break-clean-spray. I have to admit, I only used it on brakes but I also Never put Red- ShockProof in the primary.:bigsmiley25:

You Da Man Jack......... :D

I was having a clanking noise in primary thought it was compensator with all the stuff I read, turned out to be the bearing and race behind clutch pack.
Dealer replaced entire clutch, bearing and race seals etc to the tune of $1157.00.
Thank God for extended warranties.

Bubbie and Jack, thanks for the responses to this thread. I was a unsure about the whole brake cleaner idea, but did it and cleaned it out the best I could. I wanted to take it for a quick ride so that I could get that oil out of there with any brake cleaner residue and red shockproof that may have been left. I did not want to leave in there, just in case. I know a ten mile ride was pretty short, but that should have been enough to get most of that stuff out of there and also to ensure that everything was running fine.

I still can't believe I did that.. did learn a few things along the way and got me a bike lift in the process...:s

Bike Lift?

You mean one that puts it up to Eye level or chair level?

I just did my 103 build from 96"... Kneeling and crawling around on Carpet Samples for 3 Days...

I do have a bike lift jack but it is still packed in the Van-moving-storage-truck.

Man do i envy a table type.. If I did enough work on the HD's, I would make or buy me one.

signed....BUBBIE

Good this has a happy ending, Bubbie we are way to old and good looking to be crawling around on the floor, been there done that too:s

I still can't believe I did that.. did learn a few things along the way and got me a bike lift in the process...:s

I see the PROBLEM and it is IMHO...... that STUPID mentality of HD and OTHER oil controllers that say One Oil for All 3 HOLES....

Not around me and Not in MY Book...

:23:......Just MY FEELINGS here and Don't want any controversy Back Please.......:23:

OLD SCHOOL AND NO FOOL

signed....BUBBIE

No controversy but I have an opinion and you do too. I would also like to point out the facts rather than just strong opinions that reject the facts.

HD and the oil companies aren't stupid as you say. HD designed the bike and they continue to give the recommendation for using the equivalent of a GL-1 gear lube in the HD tranny and most any 20W-50 motorcycle engine oil will meet that specification. Therefore a good 20W-50 engine oil can be used in all three holes. I have done this for many miles without issue.

In this thread the issue was the primary not the transmission.

Using a gear lube in the primary was never anyone's advice here on HDTimeline. This new member came here asking for help on his primary noise. In fact I was the one to tell this poster his gear lube use in the primary was wrong in post number 10 of this thread. The fact is that gear lube is fine for the HD tranny if you want to go with it but not in a primary.

Your conclusion that the HD recommendation of a 20W-50 engine oil in all three holes caused the Original Poster to subsitute that recommendation to gear oil in his primary would lead one to think that People will next be using it in the motor. Apparently the one oil for all three holes has wandered over to the gear lube recommendation for all three holes. Are motors next? We are in for a "gear oil" in all three holes epidemic. :p

Maybe the debate on what caused this should be turned around? Did the gear lube recommendation for the tranny cause him to use it in his primary? Did that recommendation for the tranny cause an adoption of its use in the primary? Gears, Chains, Bearings and other things are in that primary and they require lubrication. Maybe there was/is an assumption that a real gear lube is needed in the primary?

Using a gear lube in your tranny is fine if one feels the need to do so. No one has said that is wrong. Putting it in the primary as was done here by the Original Poster is wrong.

In conclusion, using a good motorcycle engine oil in all three holes is OK. Today's motorcycle engine oils are all shear stable and will perform as required in the HD tranny, read the label on your favorite brand for application guidelines.

If you want to use a gear lube in your tranny that is a good choice as well.

"Just the facts ma'am" as they used to say on Dragnet. :lolrolling
Since I am the original poster, I will reply here and explain what I did was out of complete stupidity. I am not sure what I was thinking. This is not my first time around a motorcycle or harley for that matter.

What I did was wrong and I was looking for some advice as to how to clean up the mess I made without damaging my bike.

I was chasing down, what sounded like a pretty loud primary and I screwed up.

If anyone is interested in what is going on with all this. the bike is running good, the primary sounds good, but I am getting the clicking intermittently still. I have tracked it down to the tensioner, so I have ordered a hayden m6-bt07 tensioner to replace the stock one. Ordered it today, and should have it by the end of the week. I really think that this the fix, from all of the posts I have read about the tensioners causing probs in the 07 and later bikes.

I tried to do the first gear and putting on brakes without using clutch a few times, but no help.

Once I install the new tensioner I will come back and let you know what the results are. I am a pretty technical guy, and I am 99% sure that this is the culprit.

Back