free website stats program Noises from the primary | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noises from the primary

I will take the primary cover off again and put a torque wrench on the compensator and make sure that it is at least 65 ft. pounds. That will require replacing the fluid again, which is fine with me.

As far as the compensator is concerned it was tight, but I did not have a torque wrench handy, I do right now so I will take a look.

Bubbie, I get what you are saying, and trust me, it is not my intention to ruin this bike.

dar,

I never read the other post early this morning when I read you first post thread and I did a panic to let you know it was a BIG.....:newsmile017:

You might use a brake clean to remove the RED between the clutch plates... Squeeze the clutch and spray... The redline is Thick-n-slippery and probably IF You can still see it there, Needs to be Brake cleaned..

IF you want to use Redline, MY Favorite....:D

Use MTL in the primary. Big MTL on Yellow label, white bottle or in a black bottle with silver label saying V-twin Primary Lube...(same produce) says so on the black bottle.

Redline 20/50 blue label white bottle OR black bottle silver label 20/60...

Redline ShockProof for the Tranny please.

Hope you get it done.

Ride safe and when In Doubt,,,,,Shift Down a gear.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Thanks for the info. I have some brake clean at home, I will spray the clutch plates when I have it all apart this weekend. never would have thought of using that stuff, but OK. I will take care of this, check the compensator and post back what I find.

Thanks to everyone for the posts!

DAR

I was thinking the same thing with the brake cleaner stuff. I am sure that it contains some pretty nasty stuff.

Bubbie, you want to comment on the brake cleaner to get the shockproof out of there?

I was thinking the same thing with the brake cleaner stuff. I am sure that it contains some pretty nasty stuff.

Bubbie, you want to comment on the brake cleaner to get the shockproof out of there?

Brake cleaner will be fine, been using it on friction materials for years, I do like a rinse with hot water afters when ever possible:s

Thanks for chiming Jack. With the cocktail of ingredients in there I wasn't sure and Bubbie logged off after I threw my caution into the use. Just thought that with the methanol, toluene, heptane, acetone and who knows what else it might hurt the fiber disks.

:s Those chemicals are toxic as you said Tank, but they will be OK for the clutch, try not to breathe or get any on your skin as it will surely burn ya, use in a well ventilated area, if possible flush with hot water and blow dry with compressed air and wear eye protection:s

Ok, i get the flushing with hot water, but you do not mean to do that in my primary do you? I am ok with using the brake cleaner to get the fluids off, but methylene chloride and acetone evaporate pretty quickly, so I really would rather not put hot water in my primary...

Ok, i get the flushing with hot water, but you do not mean to do that in my primary do you? I am ok with using the brake cleaner to get the fluids off, but methylene chloride and acetone evaporate pretty quickly, so I really would rather not put hot water in my primary...

:p Sorry I was not clear on that one, yeah do not flush your primary with hot water:D

I am all good with compressed air!!! haha

thanks again... if it was not raining, I would be doing this right now.

will update you guys on what the results are.

Just wanted to follow up and let you all know what I found.

- took the bike for a spin to warm everything up and then drained the primary.
- took off the primary cover and checked the compensator nut with a torque wrench at 65 foot pounds and it was tight. So that was not a problem.
- used brake cleaner on the clutch plates and inside the primary. cleaned up the mess and then used air compressor to clean it out further.
- adjusted the clutch while I had it apart.
- closed up the primary and refilled with 20w50 oil
- took the bike for ride, maybe 10 miles or so, everything was operating good.
- Got it back home and flushed out the oil one more time.
- filled it back up with 20w50 oil and will take it for a ride today.

I am pretty sure that I got primary flushed out pretty good, but think that I may empty out the fluids one more time after 100 miles or so.

Back