free website stats program Noises from the primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noises from the primary

Please note that, once shockproof is in there, it isn't gonna come out very easy. It sticks to surfaces super well. I have even heard of folks unwittingly riding suprising numbers of miles on empty trannys, after just draining out a tranny full of shockproof, with no damage (Don't do this at home!).

Good luck,
Rich P

Please note that, once shockproof is in there, it isn't gonna come out very easy. It sticks to surfaces super well. I have even heard of folks unwittingly riding suprising numbers of miles on empty trannys, after just draining out a tranny full of shockproof, with no damage (Don't do this at home!).

Good luck,
Rich P

true that is some sticky stuff this is what i would do:buy a quart of formula+
put it in there after draining the shock proof go on a good long ride 70+ miles come home drain the primary the second you pull in your shop,refill it with formula+ and then ride with no worries

Ok, so I opened up the primary last night. I checked the compensator nut and it was tight. Nothing loose there. I checked the chain tensioner and it was working as expected. There was some play in the chain when I would press down on the compensator, so the chain tension was fine. There was nothing loose at all in the primary, so I put it back together and will torque everything to spec and then fill with fluids.

I am not having any problems with my clutch, but I will adjust that prior to finishing up with the primary.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I am going to button this thing up tonight.

Excellent!! That is a big relief, because if the comp nut backs off, you have a real mess on your hands and a bunch of cost (new stator, new rotor, possibly new voltage regulator). Ask me how I know!!!

I assume your visual inspection of the clutch friction discs did not show any broken bits. So, button it up and see how it goes.

TQ

Excellent!! That is a big relief, because if the comp nut backs off, you have a real mess on your hands and a bunch of cost (new stator, new rotor, possibly new voltage regulator). Ask me how I know!!!

Ok, how do you know??? :p

How's the recovery process and new scoot coming along???
Hope all is going well.

Ok, so I opened up the primary last night. I checked the compensator nut and it was tight. Nothing loose there. I checked the chain tensioner and it was working as expected. There was some play in the chain when I would press down on the compensator, so the chain tension was fine. There was nothing loose at all in the primary, so I put it back together and will torque everything to spec and then fill with fluids.

I am not having any problems with my clutch, but I will adjust that prior to finishing up with the primary.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I am going to button this thing up tonight.

Dar, did you check the compensator nut with a Torque wrench to make sure it was at 75 FT. lb.? When I opened mine up the nut did not feel loose when I put a wrench on it but once the nut started turning it turned about a quarter turn or more before it got to 75 Ft Lb. basically it was way more than hand tight but still not tight enough to keep things from rattling. Just trying to be helpful.

Dave

Dar, did you check the compensator nut with a Torque wrench to make sure it was at 75 FT. lb.? When I opened mine up the nut did not feel loose when I put a wrench on it but once the nut started turning it turned about a quarter turn or more before it got to 75 Ft Lb. basically it was way more than hand tight but still not tight enough to keep things from rattling. Just trying to be helpful.

Dave
I would be careful to not cause the nut to rotate during checking. If you do, it will have to come out, be cleaned of oil, and new red locktite applied. I would apply no more than 65 ft/lb. If it don't move, you're probably good, and tight to spec.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I realized that I made a mistake with the redline shockproof. Bonehead move, not sure what I was thinking. I changed it out after just one ride with 20w50. the high pitch noise was there before the redline shockproof.

Ok, so I am new this forum and I have an 07 softail standard. I got this bike a couple months back and have changed all of the fluids. The bike runs great, but I have some questions about the noisy primary. I have changed the fluids in the primary twice. the first time I put synthetic 20w50 and it was still loud, so I decided to try Redline Shockproof. I think it is slightly quieter, but still pretty loud, especially after the bike warms up.

YOU NEED More than HELP.... IF this is what you did.....

DID you read THE BOOK on the bike........... You Don't use SHOCKPROOF in the primary........IT Is ONLY for the tranny

I just answered a question from you on the over heating thing..

I'd say Boldly and NOT Shouting at you...... Just makn sure you SEE and HEAR...

PARK THE BIKE UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.......

You are RUINING it.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
you will need to change the primary fluid at least a couple of times to try and flush the redline shockproof out of there.

Back