free website stats program No0b questions | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

No0b questions

I had come from a 650 Kawasaki to my '03 Ultra and I too was nervous/excited about the ride home. Where my dealership is located is on a very busy road with a lot of heavy traffic on it. I remember just riding around in the parking lot of the dealership for like a half dozen times before the salesman came out and told me that I couldn't ride on their property without a helmet on. It was an insurance liability thing. Gee, and he was sooo nice to me before the sale! :) Anyway, I headed home taking the easiest way home that I could. I remember looking at all of those controls on my handlebars and trying to learn on the fly which was the directionals. I mean there was cruise control, mode buttons to advance the stereo channels, all kinds of buttons there on that busy handle bar. I just concentrated on my ride home trying to familiarize myself with the bike as I went along figuring it would come to me eventually. I had never ridden anything this big before and Alto & Bubbie were right on as far as stopping & braking. Especially with two people! I just knew that my wife sensed that I was no where near as smooth as I used to be with my smaller bike. But again, with practice stopping, I have gotten a lot smoother. I still get a little uptight when I have to make sharp turns on loose gravel.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Ultra and welcome to the best Harley forum on the web. The only time you will have problems is in slow speed maneuvers. Here is a link to some videos that may help with that issue RLAP safety tips These are quick tips to get you started and I recommend the full video and the live course if you want to get the most out of your bike.

I had come from a 650 Kawasaki to my '03 Ultra and I too was nervous/excited about the ride home. Where my dealership is located is on a very busy road with a lot of heavy traffic on it. I remember just riding around in the parking lot of the dealership for like a half dozen times before the salesman came out and told me that I couldn't ride on their property without a helmet on. It was an insurance liability thing. Gee, and he was sooo nice to me before the sale! :) Anyway, I headed home taking the easiest way home that I could. I remember looking at all of those controls on my handlebars and trying to learn on the fly which was the directionals. I mean there was cruise control, mode buttons to advance the stereo channels, all kinds of buttons there on that busy handle bar. I just concentrated on my ride home trying to familiarize myself with the bike as I went along figuring it would come to me eventually. I had never ridden anything this big before and Alto & Bubbie were right on as far as stopping & braking. Especially with two people! I just knew that my wife sensed that I was no where near as smooth as I used to be with my smaller bike. But again, with practice stopping, I have gotten a lot smoother. I still get a little uptight when I have to make sharp turns on loose gravel.

Really ! I look at the controls and they are never ending it seems. It is supposed to rain all week so the bike may have to be trailered...

I will post some pics when I get it and spend a day getting the shine on it. And I have to learn how to post pics.:s

Really ! I look at the controls and they are never ending it seems. It is supposed to rain all week so the bike may have to be trailered...

I will post some pics when I get it and spend a day getting the shine on it. And I have to learn how to post pics.:s

STRAP it DOWN good..:D

signed....BUBBIE

It was raining the day I drove my bike home...No big deal..Bike will clean and we wont melt..:)...Besides your going to get wet sooner or later and bike can get damaged trailering..:bigsmiley21:....Just drive it home..

It was raining the day I drove my bike home...No big deal..Bike will clean and we wont melt..:)...Besides your going to get wet sooner or later and bike can get damaged trailering..:bigsmiley21:....Just drive it home..

They are way harder to get on a trailer than ride. I vote ride it home. Don't forget your favorite CD ..Oh that might be a tape player

Your not alone with that nervous/anxious feeling, been there several times.
Unless you seriously doubt your riding skills from the past, kick the tires & check the gas guage because if your like me you will find yourself taking the looong waay home.

Congrats on your new ride! :D

Back