free website stats program No0b questions | Harley Davidson Forums

No0b questions

mattmuir

Hello all. I am picking up a new to me 2000 Ultra Classic this week and am a bit nervous. I have ridden since I was young ,dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and bend over go fast bikes. It has been about 10 years since I have been on the road and I have to pick up this bike this week and ride about 50 miles to my house. I have never driven a bike this heavy and I am excited/nervous. Is this dumb? Should I just trailer this bad boy home? Or, is it no big deal.

Also any special quirks to look for on this bike? It has 8k miles on it and looks new.

Thanks, Matt

With only 8000 miles how long has this been sitting?How good is the oil and how well maintained was this engine?I think I would trailer it home and go thru oils and servicing to make sure everything was ok.Also read the self help tips 99 thru 06 had cam chain tesioner issues.I just had to redo my o2 ultr.I think you will love the ride have fun bigbubba

It has been ridden every year...just not much. It has been serviced/inspected each spring and I know the owner very well. It has never been abused. Is the ride/learning curve that much different than other street bikes? My go fast days are behind me, just want to ride with the wife and enjoy the view.

Id ride around in the parking lot if its safe to and If it were me I would drive it home...You may want to take a driver safety course. Try not to worry so much:)

I would recommend trailering it home where you can take your time getting familiar with the controls etc, before taking off on a long trip. At the very least, if you decide to ride it home, take it around the block/neighborhood for awhile before hitting traffic.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum :)

I say, "Ride It"! Just ride it. Leave the trailer behind.

Ride It,

Bodeen

Back