free website stats program No0b questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No0b questions

My Dealer delivered my bike to my workplace. Had all my riding gear withe me, ready to go. Minutes after leaving work on the way home, the sky opened and dumped rain like we hadn't seen for months! It was night time, I was cold, my gloves were not as water resistant as was led to believe, I couldn't see well, I was soaked from the hips down, my boots filled with water. This is the first Harley I've owned, there was NO WAY I was leaving it at work!

It was the best ride of my life! (So Far)

If you are satisfied with the mechanical condition of your bike, and, you are comfortable with how to drive it safely... then by all means drive it home!

Ultimately, YOU are the only one that can make this decision.

Let us know how it went! (Pictures would be nice) I wish you well!

Cheers!

I would ride it. Its like riding a bicycle once you have done it you can do it forever. Be safe and enjoy the new scoot.

Hope you enjoyed the ride home, now get in the house pick those bugs out of your teeth and remember in the future smile with your mouth shut while riding. Good Luck and enjoy the new ride, we here are all happy for you.

Hello all. I am picking up a new to me 2000 Ultra Classic this week and am a bit nervous. I have ridden since I was young ,dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and bend over go fast bikes. It has been about 10 years since I have been on the road and I have to pick up this bike this week and ride about 50 miles to my house. I have never driven a bike this heavy and I am excited/nervous. Is this dumb? Should I just trailer this bad boy home? Or, is it no big deal.

Also any special quirks to look for on this bike? It has 8k miles on it and looks new.

Thanks, Matt

You'll love the Ultra. A few thoughts on the first rides . I came from a Roadster and, I hadn't ridden in a long time. The Roadster just sat in the garage, unregistered, for years. Decided I/we wanted to ride again and we bought a beautiful 01 Ultra. Once moving, I found it as nimble and rock steady as any motorcycle I ever owned. That said, I did have trouble with stops..( still do on occasion....especially with a passenger). The weight of these motorcycles is something that is not at all forgiving if, when coming to a stop, those handlebars are not dead on straight..Have them turned a bit, grab a little front brake and the weight pulls you to the ground as it 'dives' to whatever side the handlebars are turned. I had to get used to keeping off the front brake on the last few feet of a stop. Also, the old adage, 'look down-go down'..Keep your head UP. After a lot of parking lot practice of many 'stops'..I can now feather the front brake those last few feet of a stop.Still use mostly rear brake..Handlebars straight to keep the bike from 'diving' to either side. They're Heavy.
The above was my experience..May be different for everyone else.

I am with BODEEN, Ride It, when I bought my 92 FLHS new in February in MN, the dealer wanted to know when to deliver it LOL, I said I would be riding it home I did 48 miles of cold BUT fun:s

I'm with the guys that say "ride it". Just find an empty parking lot and get a feel for the weight of the bike, how it handles, etc. I hadn't ridden regulary for about 10 years when I got my first Harley back in 2004... no way was I letting the salesman ride my new Fatboy home! Best ride of my life, although it was a little slow at first, lol. :D

I found the touring bike a little more awkward at stops and starts when I first got it last year, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm still planning on doing a skilled rider course with it one these days.

You'll love the Ultra.

The weight of these motorcycles is something that is not at all forgiving if, when coming to a stop, those handlebars are not dead on straight..Have them turned a bit, grab a little front brake and the weight pulls you to the ground as it 'dives' to whatever side the handlebars are turned. I had to get used to keeping off the front brake on the last few feet of a stop. Also, the old adage, 'look down-go down'..Keep your head UP.

Above modified QUOTE from alto is Spot On...

This is the best advice to read and UNDERSTAND... Especially New to the big bike and not riding for a long time..

RIDE the bike..

Have a safe FUN ride home .... If you can stop long enough to get it Home that is..

signed....BUBBIE

Back