free website stats program no oil pressure | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure

before I had any problems i was running around 30psi of oil pressure but now it's reading around 60psi which is almost pegged out on the gauge. I'm curious to know what psi other people are running after the same conversion?

Ultra Guy, I would say the oil pressure is a bit high, but have you had an opprotunity to do an oil change, replace the filter and cut open the old one to see if there are still orange bits floating around. You may also want to check the oil sender, cooler lines etc. for some of that debris...:small3d029:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/2421-proper_oil_changing_info.html

May also want to look into the "complete oil change" where you replace the oil filter with an adapter and run Engine oil drainings to a see thru container until it runs clear...the kit is about $120, but it gets ALL the old oil out...for these short drain and fill oil changes it is okay to use regular 20W-50 motor oil as you are going to be wasting a bit of fresh oil to flush things. :s

before I had any problems i was running around 30psi of oil pressure but now it's reading around 60psi which is almost pegged out on the gauge. I'm curious to know what psi other people are running after the same conversion?
Is that oil pressure on a warm engine or cold start up and are you running 20/50w syn. engine oil?

Alright here i go again, I'm about to open a whole "new can worms"

Oil Pressure- I drove the bike last night for about 20-30 minutes and the oil pressure has settled down to about 40lbs while riding.

New Problem- this is gonna get me the "bonehead" award and I'm about to lose any respect I might have had after my cam tensioner upgrade.

While riding last night I noticed that I developed a chatter in the transmission. I pulled in the clutch and the chatter stopped. I immediately stopped the bike and called my wife to bring my truck and trailer to get me.
Trailered the bike back to the house and put it back on the lift. The first thing I checked was the lube in the tranny. Apparently when I tore the bike down last spring(as you can see from the dates of this post) I drained the transimission and didn't remember doing so-and still don't. When the repairs were done I didn't go back and check the tranny level- because I hadn't been working on the tranny. Well now you guys are thinking "what a (EDITED)" as I was thinking to myself also. I was sick to say the least. I thought i had just destroyed the transmission, I decided to put oil back in it and ride it just to see what happens. after all the damage was done, i thought. I rode it for about 20 minutes to get it warmed up. No chatter, no noise no, no nothing, it drove and sounded as normal. I went back to the lift and drained it intentionally this time. I was expecting to find chunks of steel or atleast alot of shavings. the oil come out clean, not a trace of any wear, not even anything on the magnetic plug. I hope I have dodged a big one. I had been running Mobile 1 V-twin synthetic 20w-50 in it and Now I'm a Mobile 1 fan! I'm sure i have shortened the life of my tranny but for now it appears to be ok.

I plan on changing ALL oils again this weekend and riding it a couple of hours before loading it up and heading to bikeweek on Wednesday.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Although NOT a good idea to do intensionally, there may have been enough protection from the remaining lube to save you from catastrophic damage. Have to keep your fingers crossed.

Having said that, I strongly recommend that you change the fluid in the tranny to a FULL synthetic GL-5 gear lube rather than the Mobil 1 20W50 engine oil. That is a great product for the engine, but there are superior products for the tranny. You can go with the Mobil 1 product or try the Spectro product that many of us like here on the forum.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-140

or you might consider this:

Mobilube HD Plus 80W-90 Gear Lubricant

Here is the Spectro info:

Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils

TQ

I doubt you did any real damage for the little that you rode it. I bet you will be more vigilant about checking fluid levels from now on.:wall I STONGLY agree with TQ about using a fluid in the tranny meant to protect gears.:D I myself use the Spectro for 6sp and feel confident about my level of protection. Good luck on your trip.

I doubt you did any real damage for the little that you rode it. I bet you will be more vigilant about checking fluid levels from now on.:wall I STONGLY agree with TQ about using a fluid in the tranny meant to protect gears.:D I myself use the Spectro for 6sp and feel confident about my level of protection. Good luck on your trip.

SPEAKING OF STRONGLY!!!

I have used REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY in all my trannys in my big bikes...

I put over 117000 mi on my dyna converted 6 speed gears... using ALL REDLINE products..

ENGINE = 20/50 REDLINE ENGINE OIL

CHAINCASE/CLUTCH = MTL or PRIMARY LUBE REDLINE

TRANNY = REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY

If you use the proper LUBE you won't go WRONG...

I would ONLY use products in my tranny that have SHOCKPROOF in them.. The only two I know of is Redline and Spectro...

LUBES WITH SHOCKPROOF SMELL STRONG AND LOOK RED/ORANGE....

SHOCKPROOF is used to keep a cushion NO METAL TO METAL CONTACT between the gears and bearings..... this stuff REALLY WORKS!

signed....BUBBIE

Ok, I will be changing to a gear lube for the transmission. I had been using the mobile 1 20w-50 in motor,tranny,primary because a couple of years ago the owner of the local dealership had told me to run the HD screamin eagle Syn 3 in all three. Well then I learned that the Syn 3 wasn't the best so I switched to Mobile 1, but kept it in all three.
Has anyone else ever heard that you could run all three with Synthetic 20w-50?

Another thing, I have been changing all three every 4k(+-) miles, I hear that this in an overkill for the tranny and primary?

What is the best for the Primary? what is MTL?

Shane

where do you guys find the Spectro or Redline products without having to order them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I will be changing to a gear lube for the transmission. I had been using the mobile 1 20w-50 in motor,tranny,primary because a couple of years ago the owner of the local dealership had told me to run the HD screamin eagle Syn 3 in all three. Well then I learned that the Syn 3 wasn't the best so I switched to Mobile 1, but kept it in all three.
Has anyone else ever heard that you could run all three with Synthetic 20w-50?

Another thing, I have been changing all three every 4k(+-) miles, I hear that this in an overkill for the tranny and primary?

What is the best for the Primary? what is MTL?

Shane

REDLINE MTL is manual transmission/transaxle lubricant... SAE70W80
API GL-4 Gear Oil, fully synthetic....

This I have used for many years in my chaincase (recommended by redline)
NOW redline makes a PRIMARY lube for V-Twins, probably the same stuff but LABELED JUST for v-twin use...

Using 20/50 redline in my motors.. redline is a V(5) (BEST grade of polymers used) while most other synthetics are a IV(4), 4's are very good but NOT THE BEST.........V (5) which redline falls into...BEST

shockproof heavy used in tranny will keep it NEW for a long time and TALK ABOUT SHIFT GOOD!... I have had the best luck using "shockproof" as it KEEPS METAL to METAL contact mostly impossible....

go look at it,,,,, redlineoil.com should get you there.
just my way.

signed....BUBBIE

Back