free website stats program no oil pressure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure

I went to John Wadsworth (Herko) for my roller chain conversion kit. Great guy. I second Dolt's rec above.

I put the Andrews Products 21N grind cams in as replacements for OEM grind. Supposed to have more torque especially in the low rpm range which is what I wanted. The "21" or "26" grinds will probably do what you want. For the gear drive cams, the suffix it "G" (i.e., 21G or 26G). Check out this info:

Twin 88 Gear Drive Camshafts

I would also suggest getting new lifters and adjustable pushrods so you don't have to pull the rocker boxes.

TQ

I went to John Wadsworth (Herko) for my roller chain conversion kit. Great guy. I second Dolt's rec above.

I would also suggest getting new lifters and adjustable pushrods so you don't have to pull the rocker boxes.TQ

H-D "B" lifters PN 18538-99B
H-D Quick Install Tapered Pushrods PN 18404-08 (tubes, clips and o-rings included)

OK guys! I,ve got it torn down, I appreciate all the advice and info but ya'll left out a major step, You need to take a Valium before tackling the exhaust! I spent more time and sweat fighting with that than I did the the entire rest of the tear down. I was just before factoring in a set of true duals in my build cost just so I could cut them off, but a block of wood and the three pound hammer finally come through for me.

Here is what I see, The outside tensioner looks like the one in TQ's documentary, worn pretty bad, but the inside one is gone, it's metal on metal. The orange plastic is everywhere in there, the largest piece found was about 3/4" long, it was the entire side of the tensioner, as far as the other side of that tensioner, it's probably chewed up and clogging something somewhere. I was concerned about my lifter journals being scarred from low oil pressure but they were fine. Ant tips for cleaning out the case to rid it of all the discentigrated tensioner pieces? I want to make sure that whatever piece stopped the oil flow is flushed out before I start re-assembly. I know that the oil pump and relief/bypass valves on/in the cam plate but do I need to be worried about something else being clogged elsewhere?

After talking to my local performance cycle shop, I think that I'm going to go back with the Screamin Eagle Hydraulic tensioner setup, instead of the gear driven that I initially thought. I still gonna check my run-out just for curiosity, I will post later.

ultra i think you have made a wise choice going with the hydraulic tensioner setup
was your bike making any noise coming from the bottom end when this happened?
how many miles are on your bike?

After talking to my local performance cycle shop, I think that I'm going to go back with the Screamin Eagle Hydraulic tensioner setup, instead of the gear driven that I initially thought. I still gonna check my run-out just for curiosity, I will post later.

Check out my suggestions above for cleaning out the engine aside from the cam chest. Once you get everything out of the cam chest, cleaning that out is not that big a deal. You will need to drop the oil pan and clean it out. Once you have installed everything back, do what I suggested above, and don't worry about wasting oil. Change cheap filters often and as long as ANY plastic bits are coming out, keep doing as I describe.

As far as the roller chain conversion kit to go with, if you haven't already installed, check out Herko's kit (see here: TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community). It really is EVERYTHING you need. And he has some options that make everything one stop. I was truly impressed.

TQ

UPDATE! I have finally completed my bike. It took longer than initially planned but that was because of fund$, not the work itself. I ended up installing the OEM Harley Hydraulic cam plate with hydraulic tensioners and oil pump from the 07' and later. I also installed the torrington bearings,new lifters,adjustable pushrods, etc. and of course new cams to fit the new setup. I decided to go with the T-Mann 525 cams. I haven't put any miles on it yet, just a couple to fill up with fresh gas at the nearest gas station. It seems to run ok, it was a little hard to start, it would turn over 8-10 times and then backfire a little then fire off. I think that that was due to the old fuel that had been sitting in it for the last nine months. Most of the fuel had evaporated, but what little was still in there smelled pretty bad. I added some sea foam to the new tank of fuel and it seems to fire right up and run better now. I bought some new plugs today from the harley shop, (HD GOLD 6r12g), not sure if I should have went with this plug because I think it is a little hotter plug but we will see. I plan on riding it a couple of hours this sunday to see how it runs out. After that I hope it's running great and I'm gonna polish it up and get it ready to head down to bike week!

Thanks for all your help!

before I had any problems i was running around 30psi of oil pressure but now it's reading around 60psi which is almost pegged out on the gauge. I'm curious to know what psi other people are running after the same conversion?

Back