free website stats program Nitrogen in tires | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nitrogen in tires

Kind of what I was thinking Jack, but not being the awesome gear head of your caliber, I had to lay it out in my 'girl' talk. :D

Thanks for clarifying what I was thinking...

Kind of what I was thinking Jack, but not being the awesome gear head of your caliber, I had to lay it out in my 'girl' talk. :D

Thanks for clarifying what I was thinking...

I check my gauges against a jeweled Snap On, if they are within 1 lb I keep them other than that dry air and check cold and you are good, I hate buying tires:s

Good question, I bought a new car with nitrogen in the tires 2 years ago and have never lost a pound of air pressure, I said to myself why not put it into the Harley. I guess it's like oil what works for me on my bike you may not want on yours... just sayin

I use Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) in my tires. When a start feeling a little giddy, I know my tires are leaking. :newsmile01:

Good question, I bought a new car with nitrogen in the tires 2 years ago and have never lost a pound of air pressure, I said to myself why not put it into the Harley. I guess it's like oil what works for me on my bike you may not want on yours... just sayin

It's not that I don't think nitrogen isn't a better choice, for me it is a combination of convenience & habit. :s I don't think I could go out on 2 wheels and be okay without checking the tire pressure. And, if it were low, I would have to top it off with air.

With that being said, I do not check the tire pressure in my cars as often, but I do check them fairly regularly. :s

When I had an XL1200R in 08, one of the mechanics at the dealership put nitrogen in the tires at the 1000 mile checkup for me to try(did it for free). I believe it did help with road grooves and gave the bike a more stable feel when entering/exiting on freeway ramps. I had the bike for only a year and traded it in 09 when they had the deal where you could trade your sporty back in for MSRP on a new big twin and I got a Fat Bob. I checked the pressures before I rode it to the dealer when I traded it and it had not lost any pressure. Not sure I would pay to have it done again now that I have an Ultra, but with the skinny tires on a Sportster, I believe it helped.

Road grooves and more stable feel was probably just the tires being a little low before and proper inflation helped. Regular compressed air is 78% nitrogen. Not a big fan.

Ok Guys,

I'm retired from the airlines. For airplanes, especially high altitude ones (all the airlines) it makes sense. The temps up high can be -50, -60 degrees. The nitrogen they use have very low moisture. If there was any water in the tires and it froze at altitude you might get some imbalance/vibration on landing. The low moisture nitrogen keeps that from happening.

Does that make it a good choice down here on the ground? Not in my opinion. At sea level or even in Denver I think the tire venders have just used Nitrogen as another selling point. I fire up my air compressor and check my Harley, Suzuki and Monte Carlo tires once a week with normal air and save the Nitrogen baloney for other uses.

I have to N tanks in the van for fire extinguisher recharging. I usually ran N in our bicycles. Reason, it was so easy to set the gauge on my N tanks to whatever pressure was needed in the bikes. Today, I used the compressor in the garage to air the Road King. After this, I will use the N in the back of the van to air up the Road King.

Back