free website stats program Nitrogen in tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Nitrogen in tires

I think that an average guy like me wouldn't notice any change at all. I get the no moisture aspect but don't feel like the benefits are justified buy cost. But I still get choked when I need air out on the road and the service station wants me to pay for it.

Not really for me.

I tried nitrogen one year and only benefit was that the tires seemed to hold pressure better in the winter. Wasn't worth the hassle of having to ride to one of the few places that carried it, especially since I have an air compressor it is pretty easy to check and adjust before a ride right at home in the garage.

IMO it is a draw, nitrogen is better as far as not breaking down and is more resistant to temperature changes

Well, according to the game at the Cracker Barrel, most of the time I am 'Just Plain Dumb' with an occasional 'Purty Smart', BUT, if I had jumped to nitrogen, I would still check my tire pressure each ride and if it is low, I would top it off with air...since I have that readily available.

That was my thought process on the whole nitrogen thing from the start, so I never fooled with it.

I've seen claims of 25% better tire wear,which, if true,would be worth it.I figured one a youse guys may have tried it to see.:D

The air we breathe is 80% nitrogen to begin with and that is what a standard compressor puts in your tires. IF it is true (a big "if") that oxygen is a smaller molecule and slowly seeps out of the tire's pores, then over time as you refill and the O2 bleeds out you are getting more and more nitrogen concentration anyway, for free. Those who use it swear by it, the rest of us believe it is silly for standard use surface vehicles. For jets, Bonneville speed records and other special purposes it has proven its value.

Hey, the way I go through tires it would be a complete waste of gas money.......

Back