free website stats program New to forum and hoping to get into riding, need advice | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

New to forum and hoping to get into riding, need advice

Just went through this very thing this year with my wife. In July , she decided being a passenger was just not going to cut it any more. She, like you, had never ridden a motorcycle by herself, but did have experience on snowmobiles and did know how to drive a stick shift, so understood the workings of a clutch and manual trans.
The MSF riders course not only taught her the basics of safety and handling but, was a huge confidence builder.
So with endorsement in hand it was off to the local HD dealer. She was not comfortable with the idea of riding on the street yet so she did not test driver any bikes, but she sat on all of them and got a feel for what fit her. To her, the biggest thing was being able to sit flat- footed and reach the bars and controls comfortably. Like many, she was intimidated by the over all bulk and weight of the Big Twins so we ended up with a 1200 Low Sporty. She then spent the next couple of weekends, and a few days in between, in a large parking lot practicing everything from slow tight turns to high speed quick stops until she was confident in her ability to handle the bike out in traffic.
Once out on the road she learned the truth (for her anyway) about Sportsters. They ride very rough and no matter how fast you go they always want to go faster! She said, “It’s like a motorcycle with ADHD.” LOL
Fortunately, when we bought the bike HD was running a promo were if you traded in the Sporty for a BigTwin with in a year you got back what you paid. So, about one month after buying it, it was bye- bye Sporty and hello Dyna Lowrider. I guess you could say Harley loaned her a bike to learn on (thanks HD). The point of all this rambling, if there is one, is she very quickly got over being intimidated by the size and weight of the bigger bikes and she now says the Dyna is way easier to ride than the Sporty.
In the end, you have to do what is right for you and do it your way.
Good luck and welcome to the family

Thanks again everyone. I am very thankful to all that shared their stories with me. I am especially interested in all the stories that talk about women/men that were in my same spot, never really rode a bike in their life, and how they went through the experience. I think the last time I drove a bike was back in 1997, took a "GSX 750 or something like that" around the block 5 times and did fine, but again that was a long long time ago!

Hiya,although my wife had ridden sportsbikes for a few years she chose a Nightster for her first HD,i reckon she would be fine on a softail but she does find it a bit intimidating just manouvering my Heritage,as for travel we have toured France no problem,we did fit a touring seat and highway pegs for comfort,just my opinion,Good luck and be safe whatever you choose.

Everyone has a different experience. What works for some doesn't work for others for sure. My 2 cents...

When I got back into riding after 25 years absence I bought a well used Kawasaki 440 ltd, moved on to a Honda ACE 750 which I went down on at about 25mph. The Kawi 440 was about $1000 and the Honda was about $3000. I got just about what I paid for them when I resold them. My feeling is that you will probably drop a bike learning and it is much better to drop a $3000 Honda than a $17,000.00 Harley.

Anyway you go... drive safe and enjoy the trip.

Everyone has a different experience. What works for some doesn't work for others for sure. My 2 cents...

When I got back into riding after 25 years absence I bought a well used Kawasaki 440 ltd, moved on to a Honda ACE 750 which I went down on at about 25mph. The Kawi 440 was about $1000 and the Honda was about $3000. I got just about what I paid for them when I resold them. My feeling is that you will probably drop a bike learning and it is much better to drop a $3000 Honda than a $17,000.00 Harley.

Anyway you go... drive safe and enjoy the trip.

Yes I started with a starter bike, 800cc cruiser type. Now I have an 88ci ultra classic. Moral of the story, forget the starter bike get what you want for the next several years. Don't worry about size, al Harley's balance very well, better than most smaller bikes.

My Fat Boy is my first and only bike. I've had I've had it just over 3 years. I b ought from a dealer which is about 20 miles or so from my house. I had a friend ride home for me the night I picked it up. It took me 2 days to get up the nerve to take it out of the garage because it just felt so big but when I did get it out it only took about 20 to 30 minutes and I felt very comfortable on it. When I was in Vegas a month or so ago I rented a Road King wish is a somewhat bigger and heavier than my the FB. When I first got on it I didn't feel real comfortable on it but after a couple of laps around the dealers lot then about 10 minutes on the road I felt right at home on it.

It sounds like you've taken a real liking to the FB low. I knew for probably 2 years that if I got a bike that it would probably be a FB because every time I saw one I really liked the way they looked. If you think you really would like to have the FB low, get one. If you get something smaller you'll still want the FB. And if you to get one have some crash bars but on it so when if and or when you drop it it wont go all the way over,it will help prevent damage, and it will be much easier to pick up. Whatever you decide to do have fun and be safe.

Thanks Davidw2415. I am really leaning towards the Fat Boy or the Fat Bob. Can you put crash bars on the Fat Boy or Fat Bob? I have a feeling a will be one of those people too that will be a little intimated by the size at first and will stare at the bike for several days before I get up the nerve to take it out. But once I get on it, it will be hard to get me off it!!
I talked to my friend last night who I grew up with, he had a Fat boy for three years before he traded up and got a Road King classic. He said he loved his FB, just traded it in because he wanted a bike that could handle and according to him looked good with saddle bags. He thought I would do fine on a FB and it would just take me some time to get used to it. He even offered to let me try his road king, but not ready for that until I get license and get my confidence up.
Can't wait for spring, so I can take the class and start really looking.

As Smitty stated every Harley will feel big at first but how quickly you will get used to and enjoy it. I have been riding for about 25 years and just last year bought my first Harley...a streetglide (Flhx). After riding everything from Nortons to Hondas sold my most recent scoot(Honda Vtx 1300) to my brother. He was intimidated by the size and power but after about 2 weeks he rides it like he stole it and smiles the entire time. I was helping him put a windscreen on it and took it for a ride. The same bike that I had taken to Alaska and sturgis the last 3 years seemed really cramped for me. The Flhx seemed so big to me the first couple weeks and now its like a little sportbike for me with a little more width with the bags. You will be happy you did not get a Sportster IMO ...I have a friend who bought a 1200 Sportie last year and he is already looking at a fatboy...He doesnt like how(like Smitty said) you are riding on top of it not in it...next time you go to dealership sit on a Sporty then on a Streetglide or Fatboy and you will understand. Dont forget you can get a reach seat for most models that will bring your feet down a bit as well. The good folks here are an excellent resource for all that is Harley the only stupid question is the one never asked.....welcome aboard.Red

Last edited:
Back