free website stats program New to forum and hoping to get into riding, need advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New to forum and hoping to get into riding, need advice

Hey Heidi, Welcome to the forum, you'll find tons of info on anything you can think of. You could always buy a fat boy, been around since 1984 and get it to look like a fat boy low if they decide to stop making them, however, it is a new model for them and the fat boy line has done well for HD since the start, so I don't think they will leave any time soon. Most new riders I know, get something small and light, with not too much power and work on their riding skills for the first year and with time and confidence, almost all trade up. If a bike fit's you, height, weight, reach etc., IMO it's really a confidence thing, I know a guy 250+ 6'+ and looked like he belonged on my RK, but was riding a sportster and within 3 months of riding was looking at a RK and kept saying he wished he had just started with the RK in the begining. Test ride every bike you can, once you narrow it down, try to rent that bike for a day or two and see how you like it. The rider course is the best place to start and most people have problems with clutch, throttle, shift, which you know from your atv days. I'll stop ramblin for now. Good luck and keep us all posted! Best Tom

Heidi

You got plenty of replies here.:s

Don't overlook the Dyna low rider either. As far as ride and comfort, I think it would have the edge over the FB lo IMO. It has a better suspension or even a Bob too. Plenty of choices out there, take your time and test ride as many as you can on the dealers nickel before committing on anything.

Heidi

You got plenty of replies here.:s

Don't overlook the Dyna low rider either. As far as ride and comfort, I think it would have the edge over the FB lo IMO. It has a better suspension or even a Bob too. Plenty of choices out there, take your time and test ride as many as you can on the dealers nickel before committing on anything.

Ditto!! Spot on glider! Good luck with whatever you choose Heidi. :)

I will be taking riding course in the spring, but would love to hear what people's opinions are for first bikes to a new rider.

Heidi,

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great info here and in the heads of your fellow members.

The riders course is a good move. Depending on whose course it is, some of them ride little Honda Rebels or similar 250cc bikes that are pretty easy to handle.

The key to YOUR first Harley is to test ride as much as you can. You want something that feels good to YOU. A key consideration, however, is that the lower the center of gravity, the more stable the bike will feel underway and sitting still. Once these bikes are moving they are very stable. It is starting and especially stopping that can give new riders some challenges.

So get out there and test ride a bunch, and take the riders course. Then pick YOUR bike.

TQ

I have a Deluxe and it is a very easy Bike to Ride and handle. You should test ride one, once you do I am sure you will be convinced. The Fatboy, Deluxe and Heritage are prety much the same Bike. Once you get moving you on it it is nothing to it. Good Luck.

Hey Heidi, Welcome to the forum, you'll find tons of info on anything you can think of. You could always buy a fat boy, been around since 1984 ....

uh, from memory I was thinking the FATBOY was invented in 1990? The first year all of them being painted silver. I'm sure many learned scholars on this site would concretely know which year they "came out"...

The first year the Fatboy was produced was 1990 and was called the Gray Ghost.

Img_3454-2.jpg

Heidi, here's my two cents worth:

1. Don't buy anything until you've completed the course. You have absolutely no way to predict what your attitude and outlook will be until you finish those couple days of indoctrination.

2. I know you want a Harley but do not shy away from buying a good, used metric or Buell to cut your teeth on. It won't hurt you or your wallet as much if you have an incident on a cheaper, lighter bike.

3. Try to get a feel for the type of riding you'll be doing. Will it just be a commuter bike and weekend cruiser or will you be taking some longer, overnight trips?

4. Once step 3 is complete, rent or demo several models, preferably for several hours to a day. Sitting on a bike in the showroom is no substitute for spending 100+ miles in the saddle out on the road.

5. The Sportster issue - if you like the Sportster then go ahead and get it. However, do NOT get one intending for it to be your starter bike. Even at the low end of the HD price scale they're pretty expensive for a first bike and as has been mentioned, even though it seems counter intuitive, they're actually harder to ride than most of the bigger Harley's with lower centers of gravity.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you all again for the warm welcome and all the advice.
To answer some of the questions, this will be used as a commuter bike and weekend day trips, nothing too, too long not a 100 miles at a time, no huge trips on a regular basis. If I do it will be up in Maine where I have numerous friends that ride.
Also like everyone said I will not be buying a bike until I have taken the class and received license, want to make sure I am 100% into it.

So I have another question, everyone has stated to test drive and rent bikes, I didnt know this was an option. I would be scared to death to dump or scratch a bike that wasn't mine...
I am going to see some friends this weekend and one of them has a fat boy, maybe I will ask him about letting me get some time on his bike, hopefully he trusts me!

Thanks ago for all the responses, great to know I can go somewhere for opinions and facts.
I like the "grey ghost" aka Fat boy, like the silver.
I will keep you guys posted and will also look into the dyna like other suggested!

So I have another question, everyone has stated to test drive and rent bikes, I didnt know this was an option. I would be scared to death to dump or scratch a bike that wasn't mine...
I am going to see some friends this weekend and one of them has a fat boy, maybe I will ask him about letting me get some time on his bike, hopefully he trusts me!

The dealers are insured for the test rides in case there is a mishap but they do require the MC certification on the license. As far as your friend with the fat boy, hope he's a GOOD friend just in case. :s

Back