free website stats program New member, new Harley owner has question. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New member, new Harley owner has question.

I ended up melting my rain suit onto pipes when stopping for a rest during a long ride. I tried a number of things including some that were suggested here. Easy-Off oven cleaner (the cold oven variety) sprayed onto chrome pipes while holding newspaper to prevent backsplash onto painted surfaces worked really well. The really tough bits that were left were cleaned up with SOS pads. I was real nervous about a steel wool product on chrome, but it took the melted plastic no problem without scratching/scuffing chrome.

I use Mothers Chrome Polish and a soft cloth to remove boots marks on my pipes. Apply a generous amount then rub off. Repeat until the mark is gone. Pillions always seem to put their boots on the pipes even though it is one of the few things I explain to them before they go for a ride.

Eagle One makes a micro polish that I have had good luck with on alum wheels. Takes time but does not leave scratches behind.

Hi All ~

Just picked up a 2007 1200C Sportster yesterday. The thing was un-thinkably dirty. I keep my trucks & bike spotless. I cleaned it yesterday, but there are boot scuffs melted on the pipes. Any suggestions on how to get that off without scratching the crap out of the chrome ?? "Thanks for any comments" !! :D
I'VE HAD THAT HAPPEN MANY TIME INCLUDING MY OWN SKIN. (DON'T RIDE IN SHORTS.)
I'VE ALWAYS HAD REAL GOOD LUCK WITH NEVERDULL. THINK IT'S THE BEST. ANOTHER ONE THAT'S REAL GOOD IS FLINTZ. BOTH WILL DO THE TRICK. BEFORE STARTING, I ALWAYS RUN THE BIKE TILL THE PIPES GET HOT TO SOFTEN UP THE RUBBER OR WHATEVER ELSE IS ON THERE. WHILE HOT, SCRAP OFF ASK MUCH AS YOU CAN WITH A STICK OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. POPSICLE STICKS WORK GREAT. AFTER THE PIPES COOL ALL THE WAY, START RUBBING WITH THE NEVERDULL OR FLINTZ. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GO OVER IT A FEW TIMES BUT IT WILL LOOK GREAT. RAINMAN

Ok been down this road , last year I stopped at a store ,when I cam out I noticed a broken snapple bottle under my bike ,when I reached under the bike to remove the big hunks of glass the polyester jacket I had on melted ,I mean melted a 4 inch round spot on my brand new 2-1 exhaust system I drove home and used every thing I had that usualy works on boot heel melts, you guys named everything product I tryed in my garage from mothers to goof off from paint thinner to oven cleaner, the next day I went out and bought more stuff about 4 more types of cleaners, Nothing helped at all, and being it was the muffler I knew I could not get it re chromed , I was sick everytime I went to start my bike ,I got sick from looking at this four inch burn on my new 750.00 exhaust, about a month later I was a my HD dealer the service manager walk up to me and said he noticed my exhaust and the burn mark (I said please its a soar subject with me)he said wait and walked back in to the garage came out and handed me a this little deoderant looking pakage and said try this , so I went out to my bike and started using this stick and noticed very quickly it was working after about 15 min of working with this stuff ,it completly got the whole burnt section looking new like nothing was ever there Amazing stuff I since then purchased 4 stick of this stuff and keep it on me where ever I go It Is called ROAD RUB chrome cleaning stick. if you see buy it best stuff I ever used for getting those melted boot marks off .and polyester jaket melts.

Use chrome polish and the edge of a nickle or penny to scrap the debri off. The nickle and penny are softer than the chrome and will not scratch. I also have been told the aluminum foil crumpled up can be used as well.

I have use the nickle and penny method several time to get debri off of my pipes (i.e. bug splatter as well) and for me it works fine.

How did you guess Glider??? I just find the nickle to be easier to hold on too than the penny. But seriously, they work!!

Back