free website stats program New member, new Harley owner has question. | Harley Davidson Forums

New member, new Harley owner has question.

Taz4469

Hi All ~

Just picked up a 2007 1200C Sportster yesterday. The thing was un-thinkably dirty. I keep my trucks & bike spotless. I cleaned it yesterday, but there are boot scuffs melted on the pipes. Any suggestions on how to get that off without scratching the crap out of the chrome ?? "Thanks for any comments" !! :D

I use some laquer thinner on a rag...usually takes it right off. Just be careful what you get that thinner on.

The company that makes the Easy Off Oven Cleaner says their product works great on cold pipes. Haven't personally tried it yet - just passing along what I heard. Have to use the one designed for cold ovens though, I think.

I agree with the laquer thinner, also the easy off will work too, just don't get it on anything else like paint or aluminum.

I agree with Doc with using the Easy-Off oven cleaner, just put several pieces of newspaper behind the pipes and "follow the directions"

On cold pipes use a product called "Goof Off" available at the local hardware/home improvement stores. leaves no residue.

Thanks all .... I tried the laquer thinner, with no luck. It is something real tough that they have on it !! ;-/

I will try one (or more) of the other ideas .. thanks again. The rest of the bike is shining like crazy now though !!!! :)

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my last bike and never found a way to get rid of it. Well, I was able to scrape it off a bit but that scared me because I thought I would scratch it. Maybe consider a powdercoat?

Back