free website stats program New member, new Harley owner has question. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New member, new Harley owner has question.

I had good luck getting rid of black sandal sole marks on my new pipes using easy off.

Last edited:
ride bike around town till the pipes get good and hot then spray liberally with easy off oven cleaner let stand for 3 to 5 minutes wipe clean with clean dry soft cloth works great good luck.

Easy off will remove some things but be careful with the "spray liberally" because it attacks the painted surfaces.

I have to agree with that too. I like to use something like Lacquer thinner to dissolve rather than scrub with anything abrasive.
Remember Chrome is only a mil or two thick and once scratched, it may not show up visibly until it is sitting in the direct sunlight. Too late now, you can't polish out the mistake.

i have had great luck with easy off, i did put news paper behind the pipes when spray wiped right off, i ran the bike for a couple of minutes to get the pipes warm

Let me tell you about an experience I had with some adhesive remover.

I can't remember the brand but I think I got it at Home Depot. I use a lot of adhesive remover for various things and one day I cracked this can open I had just bought and noticed right away it wasn't the same smell as the 3M adhesive remover that I usually use.
It had an ammonia smell to it like paint remover which I am very familiar with so I capped it up and changed the label to read paint remover. Sure enough , I was doing a project and needed to remove paint from a fixture so I tried this can of "adhesive remover" and low and behold, it wrinkled up the paint real nice and took it down to the bare metal.

ALWAYS smell the product before using it to be sure it is as labeled and test it in an inconspicuous spot before using it liberally. I can't imagine how many people bought this product that was obviously miss packaged and used it destroying what ever they used it on.

Never dull and a 12 pack did it for me. But I was the one that melted my boot on it and got it off as soon as the pipes cooled.

Had the same problem (wife's shoes). Use a Penny and gently scrape off the rubber. The metal in the penny is softer than the chrome. It leaves no scratches. I always make sure the exhaust is cold and GENTLY scrape the gunk away.

Back