free website stats program new exhaust and air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

new exhaust and air cleaner

Hammer

I want to install a new set of pipes and the sreaming eagle air filter on my 07 fat boy. What I want to know is will it hurt the engine to drive it to the dealership to get the computer upgraded .Normally this wouldnt be an issue but I live about 450 miles from the closest one. If anyone has any info on this I would really like to here from you soon cause I just cant stand to wait much longer

Hammer,I've heard horror stories about rear pipes becoming cherry red after only a few miles on stock bikes with air cleaner and pipe changes.Try fuelmotousa.com and price a power commander or another device to remap your injection.There are a lot of choices out there.I put in a dynojet pc in my 07 fxstc.They pre load the pc for you,all you have to do is tell them the ac and pipes you have installed.When you get it , install the unit,takes about 1/2 an hour, then follow directions to set zero at idle,which takes about 5 minutes with a laptop.Bingo!! down the road you go.If you have any problems or questions , ask for Jamie,he's the tech.and knows his stuff. good luck,The Pirate

I have to take exception to your reply Dynaguy. If you change your exhaust and add a high flow air filter, you will make an already lean engine run even leaner! Be real careful. I did the same on my bike, but also added a PCIII. Very easy to use and I was able to eliminate the too lean running conditions.

Tilleys Harley- Davidson in Statesville,NC does it all the time. Screamin eagle A/C , Slip-ONs no remap . Opions on this is a dime a dozen. I just order these things called 02 ieds.They trick ECU. Turns fuel mixture up.:D

Tilleys Harley- Davidson in Statesville,NC does it all the time. Screamin eagle A/C , Slip-ONs no remap . Opions on this is a dime a dozen. I just order these things called 02 ieds.They trick ECU. Turns fuel mixture up.:D

In my travels I have seen a lot of things done by dealers that thought they were doing the best thing and were correct in doing it too but it made me cringe when I saw that they didn't reflash the ECM with the stage 1 and mufflers added.

Yes the bike will run but the narrow band sensors will only adjust so much and addition of the stage 1 and mufflers puts them out of parameters for the proper adjustments. Bikes will run doing that but not as good as they should also much leaner than they should too.
Too many dealers out there that just don't know what they are doing. You can go from dealer to dealer and find many different opinions on this same issue.That shows me just how well trained they are with the fuel delivery on the newer bikes.

The 02 sensors also only adjust in certain areas of fuel delivery (cruise) and not throughout the entire range so what happens in those areas with stock mapping?.

A tech at local dealer told me that the factory ECU is a lot smarter than people give it credit. I own a 04 chevy pu . I put K/N filter, Flowmaster muff and open air intake hole. You could tell by the seat of your pants. It ran better. That ECU on Harleys are made by same company.Delphi.That chevy ECU made adjustments .Tech said Harleys will to. Will it be perfect no. Will it burn motor down NO it want.

Don't forget that the chevy is water cooled and the bike air cooled and the parameters in the bike map with the narrow band 02 sensors is where the difference is.:s

Don't forget that the chevy is water cooled and the bike air cooled and the parameters in the bike map with the narrow band 02 sensors is where the difference is.:s

Hey Glider I have been talking to a lot of people about doing a stage 1.You would not beleive the answers i have got. One tech says remap, the next one say no remap needed.And this is from diffrent dealers.
I talked to a place called Nightrider Performance.They sell a thing called 02 Inline Enrichment Device. It plugs in 02 sensor. Got resitor or some other thing in it that fools ECU.
I was even told that i can buy for .99 cents a resitor that will tell ecu that engine is cold all the time. you know like it just been started up.
All these sensors run off electric current. Change it ,change signal.:33:

I hear ya there, a 1000 ohm resister will tell the ECM that the 02 sensors are still there when they aren't so no codes will be thrown.

That IED will richen up the cruise only, what about the fuel delivery in other areas, how are you going to work with that?:s

As far as the dealers giving you different answers, you should hear some of the things I have been told by dealer techs and also service managers that think they knew it all. Made me cringe.
BTW, they don't work there any more :D

In the Harley catalog they sell that Screamin Eagle A/C for 139.00. With a footnote that states download needed price seperate. Well i ride 07 WG. One dealer said that download wont work on 07s. Called another and was told yes it will.Iam about as confused as i get get.

Back