free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

I have read through the posts on the damaged 6 speed transmission. Here is some thing to think about. Most damaged Harley transmissions are caused by down shifting them to slow the bike down. I am talking about using forth and down to significantly slow the bike when coming up to a stop. Harley's 4-6 speed transmissions are all syncromesh but they use very big and heavy gears. You folks out there who have had transmission problems think about how you use the transmission. Do not use the transmission to slow the bike to a stop. I think a lot of these problems will be minimized. Fossil

Really?

What am I supposed to do when I live in a mountainous area and have to drive down for extended periods of time regularly?? I sure can't use my brakes since they will overheat and fail... What you are saying is that this will break the bike's trans?

Just my 2ct, but this surely cannot be a reality..

Take care,
Kris

I have read through the posts on the damaged 6 speed transmission. Here is some thing to think about. Most damaged Harley transmissions are caused by down shifting them to slow the bike down. I am talking about using forth and down to significantly slow the bike when coming up to a stop. Harley's 4-6 speed transmissions are all syncromesh but they use very big and heavy gears. You folks out there who have had transmission problems think about how you use the transmission. Do not use the transmission to slow the bike to a stop. I think a lot of these problems will be minimized. Fossil

Like any motorized vehicle depending on how you're using your tanny to slow you down will factor into how much stress you place on the tranny. Dropping a gear and having your rear wheel lockup will put more stress on those gears than if your doing it while your braking. Riding downhill you'd be braking as you're downshifting to maintain control. It doesn't matter what make of bike you ride, if you're overstressing your tranny and drivetrain sooner or later something is gonna give.

I'd hafta disagree with fossil here.........downshifting dosen't hurt your Tranny unless your dropping too many gears, dumping your clutch and chattering or locking up your rear wheel, that ain't good for nothing. You stand to stress more than your gears, like over-reving you motor, streching your rods or knocking holes in your pistons with your valves, not ta mention what your doing to your primary and clutch.
I believe that "normal" downshifting doesn't put any more stress on your tranny than upshifting does, in fact your likely putting more torque and stress on your tranny when accelerating than de-accelerating.
Anyway, I'll continue to downshift/upshift and use my gears for control in corners, on hills and stopping along with my breaks, throttle and lean, that's what "riding" is all about, gettn all that stuff working in harmony.

Interesting point about down shifting and transmission wear. I think I understand. "Normal down shifting" it is all in the definition/interpretation of "normal".

If you live in the mountains and ride in the mountains all the time, you should expect that all the mechanical parts wear out faster. Flat land should last longer.

One thing that made sense to me was I heard a car mechanic on the radio say, " What is cheaper to replace, brakes or a transmission?" If you have to use your transmission to slow you down, by all means be safe, but wear is wear. Normal in the mountains, isn't normal to a flat-lander. I wonder what the HD engineers thought "normal" was.

Personally, I am just in the habit of squeezing the clutch lever and using only breaks to slow me down 90% of the time. I think I can replace the break pads and rotors myself over a weekend, but a transmisions replacement....I don't know.

I have an 07 6-speed and so far no issues to speak of with 29756 miles (mostly highway and spectro 6 speed as the lubricant)

Down shifting through the gears is a standard method of slowing a bike down and any of these transmissions should be built to handle it without imploding unless of course you you go from 5th to 1st in one kick I personally refuse to give the moco an excuse when either bearings or poor design is the real problem, If anyone has ever come down a steep incline you know that engine braking is the only way to get down safely if you rely on your brakes most likely theyll be gone at the bottom of the hill. Also as stated Baker seems to be able to build gears that hold up.

Things I would like to say about downshifting.

I usually Don't use High RPM's when I shift down to a lower gear when slowing down Under Compression.

The Reason I go Easy is the "Shoe" system in chaincase that tensions the SLACK in the primary chain is not strong enough to hold High RPM's against it... IMO...

pulling it Hard the opposite direction that it is designed for.... as all the weight is put onto that little shoe and holder. Never had one fail But...

I prefer to go Easy on the compression and never use over 2500 rpm against the gear-compression side... Clutch in-out, shifting Down as i slow, using only Light compression.. The brakes work fine with This system I use...

I'll shift UP a gear to Lower RPM, then use the compression rather than Shift Down(high RPM) on every gear...

Rev, slow down..... Rev, slow down...... that isn't for a harley in my book.

signed....BUBBIE

Harley (and other) motorcycle transmissions are NOT syncromesh, but are constant mesh.

Light compression braking is okay as Bubbie says, and yes, it requires carburetion/fueling to be spot on with a fair amount of rider throttle and braking control to synchronize. If you have ever gone to the races, the sign of the better rider is how even the rpms and bike are, steady as you watch the racers near the front keep the braking, shifting and throttle control look and sound virtually seamless...keeping the engine in the power band and the suspension controlled verses the others who seem to have problems be it either the bike or the rider not getting it right...!

Not THAT I am that good a go fast guy, I feel and listen to everything as I slow for a turn and notice things like throttle response if not crisp or in the right gear...you "feel" the drive & coast stresses in the drive train when you don't get the timing right...especially after the critical apex of the turn. being in the right gear, with correct drive so the roll on the throttle straightens you up with power and chassis attitude correct. You remember how it feels when you get all three right on so all you have to do is think "tactics" ride conditions and how satisfying the ride is. Being hard on your riding hardware, is knowing how your bike feels when you "massage the throttle and braking in turns". And yes, brakes are more easily repaired and replaced than internal engine and tranny bits.

replacing my 6 spd. harley w/ a dd7 baker. talked to the mech at the indy shop today. cancelled my harley esp and the dealer priority maint. plans to pay for the baker. probably shoot my worthless harley warranty out the window but i get better service from the indy guy. just hope he can save the trans case. ultra strapped to trailer out back ready and waiting.

replacing my 6 spd. harley w/ a dd7 baker. talked to the mech at the indy shop today. cancelled my harley esp and the dealer priority maint. plans to pay for the baker. probably shoot my worthless harley warranty out the window but i get better service from the indy guy. just hope he can save the trans case. ultra strapped to trailer out back ready and waiting.

I hate to hear that. I know the baker is a good trans......but.....you have a brand new bike with warranty. These Harley six speeds are not that bad. I really enjoy mine.:(

Back