free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

TQ - read your prior thread on your tranny problem. I haven't quite picked all the nuances of the HD line, but is the SE 6-sp, is that the Harley 6-sp transmission that you put in? Exactly what I have in my '08 Ultra?

Yes and no. I installed the Screamin' Eagle 6-spd transmission. This is the old 5-spd case that has been modified and a 6-spd gearset installed. It is p/n 33137-04. I am not sure what the p/n is for the HD 6-spd installed as stock on more recent bikes.

And you put it in yourself, and when it broke you down, Harley agreed to cover the parts cost for the damage it did to your '03 Ultra?

That is right. The Mothership came through and agreed on what they call a "goodwill" warranty. They would cover the parts. It was up to the Dealership (in this case Republic HD) to deal with labor costs. As indicated in my post, they estimated and charged me for 7.5 hours @ $95/hr.

Now that's pretty good for them to do that. I could see you sweating that one, as to what would be covered, if anything when you do your own installation work. Had the HD shop done the install for you, yes, I could see this being a non-issue as far as getting warranty work. But to do yourself, and have that covered - pretty stand up for the HD and MOCO to do that -

It was a VERY pleasant surprise that the Mothership agreed to the goodwill warranty. As mentioned, I was already planning on the Baker DD6 as the alternative should HD NOT have covered me. If the Dealership had installed the tranny, HD MIGHT have done the goodwill, and the Dealership might have done at least part of the labor. But it was over two years old (just), and almost 12,000 miles. So, who knows. I am satisfied with what happened.

TQ

Seen the word "hard" several times in this thread. Can someone further define this for me as it pertains to transmissions? Is this a function of total miles on the bike or how the bike is ridden and shifted?
The term "Rides Hard" simply means that the rider rides the bike at or near the design limits most of the time. These are the guys you see that are bumping the rev limiters, can't seem to do less than 80 on the freeway and have scraped the footboards off on both sides, most of them are experienced and good riders, they just live for speed and thrills.
The rest of us fall into the remaining catagories:
Riders, they're the ones that ride all the time or at least every chance they get. These are the guys that look like they were born on the back of a Harley.
RUB, Has a beautiful 1-2 year old bike, low milage, rides once in awhile, likes to say they're gonna go on a ride with ya but never shows up, likes ta drink beer in the garage , look at his bike and start it up for ya, reves the engin ta show ya how loud his pipes are.
Newbe, New Bike, new Leather, paddles a lot when slow rolling the bike.
At least that's the way I look at it, I'm sure there's a lot of other thoughts on the subject.

That's why I recommend getting the extended warranties on these bikes with the 6 speeds and the 96 engines. Between these changes and the pressed crankshafts, there's just too many shortcuts to save money by the MOCO for my likes. Down the road after some serious miles are clocked it will tell the story.

Threads like this make me paranoid:newsmile040:, I might just get the extended warranty now:34:.

My buds 2010 Ultra's tranny went south with 107 miles in it. He said bearing came apart.

Does no-one else find it suspicious that this is happening after ONLY 107 miles?!?!

This is insanely low and should be considered a construction fault. I would see the dealer for this for sure, this should not happen..

I have read through the posts on the damaged 6 speed transmission. Here is some thing to think about. Most damaged Harley transmissions are caused by down shifting them to slow the bike down. I am talking about using forth and down to significantly slow the bike when coming up to a stop. Harley's 4-6 speed transmissions are all syncromesh but they use very big and heavy gears. You folks out there who have had transmission problems think about how you use the transmission. Do not use the transmission to slow the bike to a stop. I think a lot of these problems will be minimized. Fossil

I have read through the posts on the damaged 6 speed transmission. Here is some thing to think about. Most damaged Harley transmissions are caused by down shifting them to slow the bike down. I am talking about using forth and down to significantly slow the bike when coming up to a stop. Harley's 4-6 speed transmissions are all syncromesh but they use very big and heavy gears. You folks out there who have had transmission problems think about how you use the transmission. Do not use the transmission to slow the bike to a stop. I think a lot of these problems will be minimized. Fossil

You mean constant mesh dont you?

Interesting. That is how I slow the bike down. Good food for thought.

Seriously?!?
Drop over 20K on a new SG and I have to baby it and not use the tranny for slowing down? I really hope this is a joke. This is my first Harley and am starting to wonder w/ all the problems that keep popping up, imaginary or real, that I may have been better off spending my money elsewhere.
Dont get me wrong I love my bike and have put on over 3500miles since i picked it up at the end of march.

Back