free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

I have about 400 miles on my Ultra. When it gets warmed up, I have a dickens of a time getting it in neutral. I didn't have this problem w/ the RK. No problem going into neutral when cold. Clunks a lot more than the RK too but I have 8500 mi on the RK and I'm on my 3rd oil change with Redline. Let's see what happens on the 1K service. I'll have the dealer use Redline unless I can find the Spectro Platinum 6 speed which I'd like to try. No one seems to carry the Spectro 6 speed oil out here. Spectro engine oil everywhere.

Check out Bob's Cycle at the link below. I just ordered 3 quarts of Spectro 6-spd and 4 quarts of Spectro primary. That is enough for 4 changes (tranny takes 20-24 oz. and primary takes a full qt.):

Bob's Cycle website

TQ

Redline shockproof heavy is a great lube for the trans as well as Spectro Platinum. Either will give you good service from the Harley trans.being top of the line gear lubes.
Harley 6 speeds are not the best trans around. They have a number of weak areas and if the bike is ridden hard, they will not give very good service before they let you down.
Weak trap doors that flex which allows the gear set to move in the case and plastic bearing retainers are just a few areas.

This is really hard to believe actually. I'm no tranny guy, but plastic bearing retainers in a transmission, to save some cost - unbelievable. And here I was worried about a gas cap :s

I really didn't want to have to up on an extended warranty - but this makes me rethink that idea. Which is probably exactly what the MOCO had in mind.

As some of you folks know, I have just had major problems with my SE 6-spd (see Bike broke - tranny! - Harley Davidson Community). This is a 6-spd gearset mashed into the 5-spd case. When all this happened, I called Baker to ask them about the DD6 gearset. That was what I intended to do if the Mothership had not come through, which they did. Baker told me that I would NOT be able to use the DD6 gearset as a substitute for the SE 6-spd gearset. Harley modifies the 5-spd case to accept the SE 6-spd gearset. Baker relies on the original 5-spd case configuration for their DD6 gearset.

The HD 6-spd case may be different than the 5-spd case, and Baker may have a substitute 6-spd gearset to replace the HD 6-spd gearset. I strongly suggest anyone considering this option call Baker to confirm BEFORE ordering the DD6 gearset somewhere.

TQ

Harley 6 speeds are not the best trans around. They have a number of weak areas and if the bike is ridden hard, they will not give very good service before they let you down.

Seen the word "hard" several times in this thread. Can someone further define this for me as it pertains to transmissions? Is this a function of total miles on the bike or how the bike is ridden and shifted?

As some of you folks know, I have just had major problems with my SE 6-spd

TQ - read your prior thread on your tranny problem. I haven't quite picked all the nuances of the HD line, but is the SE 6-sp, is that the Harley 6-sp transmission that you put in? Exactly what I have in my '08 Ultra?

And you put it in yourself, and when it broke you down, Harley agreed to cover the parts cost for the damage it did to your '03 Ultra?

Now that's pretty good for them to do that. I could see you sweating that one, as to what would be covered, if anything when you do your own installation work. Had the HD shop done the install for you, yes, I could see this being a non-issue as far as getting warranty work. But to do yourself, and have that covered - pretty stand up for the HD and MOCO to do that -

Perhaps the MOCO sees the aging population of buyers and riders as a way to use "cheaper" parts thinking we may not ride them as hard as "younger" riders. I really don't ride 09 any different that I did my 00 . I have over 3000 miles so it about time to change the fluids again. The dealer did the 1,000 so I didn't get to see the drain plugs. I will this time since I am changing my own from now on. Going to use spectro 6 speed in trans and amsoil in the engine. I hope these problems are islated problem and not one in general. Thanks everyone for your input on this. Ride safe!

This is really hard to believe actually. I'm no tranny guy, but plastic bearing retainers in a transmission, to save some cost - unbelievable. And here I was worried about a gas cap :s

I really didn't want to have to up on an extended warranty - but this makes me rethink that idea. Which is probably exactly what the MOCO had in mind.

That's why I recommend getting the extended warranties on these bikes with the 6 speeds and the 96 engines. Between these changes and the pressed crankshafts, there's just too many shortcuts to save money by the MOCO for my likes. Down the road after some serious miles are clocked it will tell the story.

That's why I recommend getting the extended warranties on these bikes with the 6 speeds and the 96 engines. Between these changes and the pressed crankshafts, there's just too many shortcuts to save money by the MOCO for my likes. Down the road after some serious miles are clocked it will tell the story.

Agree with Glider on the extended warranty and the changes Moco has made, etc. On the transmission subject: Have an '08 SG with 41,000+ miles and had the main shaft bearing replaced at 31,000. Around 38,000 miles ,after riding, backing the bike into the garage in nuetral with the engine off I hear a marble or bearing sound behind the primary. Just got back from my Indie Co. and they heard it. (bike now has 41,000+ miles) Put it in gear and pulled in clutch and move bike, went away. They attribute it to gear noise and going away when putting a load on it. Not really a bearing issue. Dealer just said "They all do that". When have we heard that. :) I wish they would take the time and explain it in detail like the Indies. My factory warranty was up up April 1 and my 5 year extended has kicked in, so a good Indie Co. that takes the extended warranties is a good idea.

Agree with Glider on the extended warranty and the changes Moco has made, etc. On the transmission subject: Have an '08 SG with 41,000+ miles and had the main shaft bearing replaced at 31,000. Around 38,000 miles ,after riding, backing the bike into the garage in nuetral with the engine off I hear a marble or bearing sound behind the primary. Just got back from my Indie Co. and they heard it. (bike now has 41,000+ miles) Put it in gear and pulled in clutch and move bike, went away. They attribute it to gear noise and going away when putting a load on it. Not really a bearing issue. Dealer just said "They all do that". When have we heard that. :) I wish they would take the time and explain it in detail like the Indies. My factory warranty was up up April 1 and my 5 year extended has kicked in, so a good Indie Co. that takes the extended warranties is a good idea.

ESP here, dont want any surprises, I ride it every day and dont need any extra bills

Back