free website stats program Never felt like that..... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Never felt like that.....

I think you learned something from this and you will better prepared, heaven forbid there is a next time. If your not prepared, get prepared. You were lucky today my friend.

A person realy cant make a mistake with a gun...

MAT I'm not sure what you mean here , but yes a person can make a mistake with a gun. I almost killed someone in a hunting accident and I have not shot another gun for 45 years now.

I have nothing against someone defending themself.

Best advise is, if you're going to get a gun also get the training to go with it. :)

It sounds like you have had a feeling that something was not right and perhaps it showed in your manner and perhaps they backed off from that
Now you need to do some more to assist your personal security in this country a couple of security cameras one outside one inside even if they are dummy cameras may just deter a casual criminal
a big snappy dog does help but also tends to scare the customers

Brian

Thanks...The cameras doesn't sound like a bad Idea...You no I may never need them...I guess Its time I get myself more prepared..

A person realy cant make a mistake with a gun...

MAT I'm not sure what you mean here , but yes a person can make a mistake with a gun. I almost killed someone in a hunting accident and I have not shot another gun for 45 years now.

I have nothing against someone defending themself.

Best advise is, if you're going to get a gun also get the training to go with it. :)

Yes I think training is a good idea..I do have a gun ..I guess what I meant is it would be realy terrible to kill someone unnecessary ..I wonder if there training to help me draw a line as to when to shoot....Hay Im sorry about the hunting accident...Thank god they lived..Mat

Last edited by a moderator:
Mat the advice you have recieved is sound and I always think you need to trust your instincts. I don't know how isolated you are or if there have been armed robberies in your area but it never hurts to prepare. If you chose to arm yourself make sure you are ready to use deadly force. How is your insurance?

Mat the advice you have recieved is sound and I always think you need to trust your instincts. I don't know how isolated you are or if there have been armed robberies in your area but it never hurts to prepare. If you chose to arm yourself make sure you are ready to use deadly force. How is your insurance?

Im kind of isolated there for it would take Id say 10 to 15 min to get a cop here...There stretched pretty thin.....I do have alto of insurance..

Mat,

I think the way you handled this situation was perfect.

As has been said, trust your instincts, they are probably correct.

It sounds as though they did not have good intentions. Giving them the bennifit of doubt, they could have stopped in by mistake looking for a 7-11 to get a soda or a game store to get the newest video game, but lets face it, they were not there to buy furniture. This means they will have no need to come back. Keep your eyes open until you feel better about things.

The fact that you are concerned that you could hurt someonelse, to me, says volumes about you, but remember, self defense is just that, SELF DEFENSE. If it had come to it, they would have realized you were no push over and been out the door, in the car and down the road realizing any possible gain would not be worth what they were about to get in return.

I also think calling the police is the right thing to do. You will have alerted to a possible future issue, somewhere else and that may save another shop owner, elderly women walking down the street or someones child from harm and the feelings you are having now.

Stay safe, stay alert, be cautious.

Mat all robberies are different and yet all the same. Someone wants something you have and are willing to take it by some type of force, either implied or in sight. Three against one even if you have a bat are not good odds. If a person (or persons) want something bad enough and you even think they are willing to risk jail or injury, is the something they want worth you being injured? In most areas you can find firearms safety courses and there are protection courses, but most aren't cheap. I have found that even with training most people still hesitate to use deadly force. People can talk about shooting someone that is trying to rob them, but in most cases their instincts are just not fast enough.

No your not nuts,I think they were not proficiant at what they were thinking or planning to do otherwise they would have been on you before you had a chance to get the Batt, Always trust your instincts.

Sounds like they were casing your place Mat. Did you get their license plate? Be cautious!

You are definitely concerned and rightfully so. Call police and file a report.
It may have been a mistake, but it could have been that they were casing your place. Have the police come to your business and give them all the information you can, especially the description of car. Best to you...:s

All extremely good replies.

Well I wish I could say I would have smart enough to think about a plate number there for I didn't call the cops....I no ....You now the funny thing is I have no cash draw...Everyone pays with a card or check here ..

Not surprising, I would be the same way . . . . but next time you may think about it.

Thanks...The cameras doesn't sound like a bad Idea...You no I may never need them...I guess Its time I get myself more prepared..

Yes I think training is a good idea..I do have a gun ..I guess what I meant is it would be realy terrible to kill someone unnecessary ..I wonder if there training to help me draw a line as to when to shoot. . . . . . . .

Mat if you get a camera have it aimed at the parking area to try and get everyone's face and the tags. I took a security guard course many years ago (long story). Anyhow they don't "just" train you to shoot and handle the gun safely which many of us as hunters or former soldiers already know. But key things (if you get one of the better expensive courses) they teach you are how to handle the gun in a confrontational situation. They teach you what to look out for, how much distance to always keep between you and them, and how to not let them take the gun away from you. Many times you won't even have to shoot, the gun alone can handle the situation. They also train you "when" to shoot, which usually is when the intruder pull weapons, but there are other reasons.

Anyhow if you take a course don't waste your money on one of those cheapes at the gun shows. You probably already know all that.

Anyhow I am so thankful it turned out as it did and you were not robbed or worse. I don't know what it's like up in your area of the country but down here with the economy trash for over 2 yrs now, there are always some hard core types (or drug freaks) looking for a quick easy score. They don't need a big haul. They have killed store clerks and homeowners for $40. I keep a 38 pistol ready in my own home nowdays since we've had several home invasions in the past year. They just bust in or con you into opening the door and then bust in. Things ain't what they used to be in American in many places.

Keep your head up, and work on your plan, it will keep you around. Again so glad you ok Buddy.

My take on this is, [being born and raised in Brooklyn] You were almost robbed, But for some unknown reason they backed out, I think if they would have seen a cash register with cash visible things would have been different.

Hey! I was born in Queens ( General Hospital( & raised in Brooklyn too! Knickerbocker Avenue & Himrod St.

Back