free website stats program Need help hard starting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help hard starting

Once you pull the cover you may see the damage right away, Compensators have been known to cause just this noise, still other things in the primary bear looking at including inner primary bearing, clutch hub nut and even the starter

No Don, I have not gone to the trouble yet. I am going to have to soon I think-it's getting worse and can't be any good for the starter
Sooner may be better. You would hate for something to come apart and jam chain.....

No Don, I have not gone to the trouble yet. I am going to have to soon I think-it's getting worse and can't be any good for the starter
Take a pic if you can and post. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. It will become the #1 tool you own. I don't know if your bike has the auto tensioner on the primary drive chain or not, but these have been known to overtighten. There is a procedure in the self help section on how to fix that problem. I think your year may not have the SE compensator one of the wiser members can help with that I'm sure. Keep us posted these types of issues happen and the forum is here to help.

Take a pic if you can and post. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. It will become the #1 tool you own. I don't know if your bike has the auto tensioner on the primary drive chain or not, but these have been known to overtighten. There is a procedure in the self help section on how to fix that problem. I think your year may not have the SE compensator one of the wiser members can help with that I'm sure. Keep us posted these types of issues happen and the forum is here to help.
Your part number is 83935-09A
It has been changed to a newer part number
here is a link to a PDF
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us/media/downloads/service/isheets/-j05457.pdf

I will try. Thanks Don!

The biggest concern I have with "screeching" noise coming from the primary area is a loose compensator nut allowing the rotor to wobble and rub against the coils of the stator. This is a potential catastrophic failure waiting to happen if not found quickly. I would NOT use the bike until you have verified the situation inside the primary.

Even if it is not this problem, these symptoms that you are reporting are indicators of a potential serious condition. Definitely worth opening up the primary and checking it out. Inspect the fluid coming out for metal pieces and look closely at the drain plug magnet.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

TQ

Back