free website stats program Need help hard starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help hard starting

Jeff Hartman

Hello all,

Thanks in advance. I have a 2011 HD Fatboy. Starts fine run it for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn it off if I go back within 5 to 10 and try to restart it struggles and when it finally does turn over it makes a very loud screeching noise. Kind of feels like the darn engine is about to fall out the bottom. Keep in mind I'm some what motorcycle illiterate when it come to mechanical problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do still have a warranty on her just was wondering if there is maybe a quicker fix then it sitting in the shop for a week.

Thanks
Jeff

Always start with the most basic things first. Checking battery, cables etc. Any modifications done to bike?
Has primary been opened up lately? How many miles?

Loud screeching noise, can you tell us where it's coming from? The primary is the large case on the left side of the bike that extends from the motor to the transmission. Have you checked all the fluids? You need to get a maintenance manual. It will walk you thru the basics in the first couple of chapters.

You need to check the basics before you move on. We will help as much as possible, but without being able to identify the parts of the bike, it will be very difficult to assist you.

If you feel you can not do some of the troubleshooting because of inexperience, it may be better to make a visit to your local independent shop or the dealer.

You need to help us by giving good descriptions, in order for us to help you. Knowing your about your bike is the first step.

Welcome to the forum.

Ok let me get more specific. All fluids are good per manual. If I had to compare it to something I would say it is like attempting to start a car when it's already running.

Mine turns ok then sounds like a metal disaster in the primary. I was lame and did not get it in under warranty, so I will have to bear the expense '13 FXDC 96"

How about videoing what's happen and providing an external link to it so we can actually see and hear what's happening.

Mine turns ok then sounds like a metal disaster in the primary. I was lame and did not get it in under warranty, so I will have to bear the expense '13 FXDC 96"
Have you taken the outer primary cover off just to have a look?

Back