free website stats program My white Ultra needs a make over! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My white Ultra needs a make over!

To heck with painting the inner fairing. Do you guys know what HD paint costs???? Man, I had no idea! I just found out to do my inner fairing with glacier white pearl I would have to buy two different paints (base coat and cover coat). One was about $80 and the other was about $90. That doesn't include the clear coat. And of course there is the labor costs.

I can get a brand new inner fairing already painted from HD for about $450 with the current discount they have at the dealership. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and be sure it will match perfectly. The little money I'd save having my old one painted isn't worth the risk of it not matching well.

Try Hoosier HD in Elkhart their pricing is getting quite aggresive and their only an hour and a half from you.

To heck with painting the inner fairing. Do you guys know what HD paint costs???? Man, I had no idea! I just found out to do my inner fairing with glacier white pearl I would have to buy two different paints (base coat and cover coat). One was about $80 and the other was about $90. That doesn't include the clear coat. And of course there is the labor costs.

I can get a brand new inner fairing already painted from HD for about $450 with the current discount they have at the dealership. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and be sure it will match perfectly. The little money I'd save having my old one painted isn't worth the risk of it not matching well.

Sounds like you are talking to the wrong painter.The paint for your scoot was produced by PPG for Harley Davidson.The PPG codes are readily available.The reason it is so expensive from Moco is they usualy will only sell you full pints or quarts without reducer and then of course theres the label.Any painter worth a darn has access to automotive paint mixing banks with the ability to mix as little as 2 ounces in any color.You could paint your whole scoot with a pint.To paint your inner fairing should be no more than $250 and thats on the high side.Any body shop can do this for you.

Heres the 06 ppg codes

Black Cherry Pearl B/C 905951
Black Pearl B/C 905208
Briliant Silver Met B/C 902849
Chopper Blue Pearl Pearl B/C 908588
Deep Cobalt Pearl B/C908850
Glacier White Pearl 3ct 903148
Mirage Orange pearl 3ct 904763
Rich Bue Sunglo B/C 906546
Vivid Black 9850
Black Denim LG 913102

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres the 06 ppg codes

Black Cherry Pearl B/C 905951
Black Pearl B/C 905208
Briliant Silver Met B/C 902849
Chopper Blue Pearl Pearl B/C 908588
Deep Cobalt Pearl B/C908850
Glacier White Pearl 3ct 903148
Mirage Orange pearl 3ct 904763
Rich Bue Sunglo B/C 906546
Vivid Black 9850
Black Denim LG 913102

The Glacier White Pearl has two paints. The white base paint and the cover paint which gives it the blue specks when the sun hits it. Is the PPG code for both of them?

The Glacier White Pearl has two paints. The white base paint and the cover paint which gives it the blue specks when the sun hits it. Is the PPG code for both of them?

Any PPG shop or supplier can help you in your local area.When you enter the code into the data base it will spit out the white base formula as well as the pearl top coat formula.You dont even need the code..There is only one pearl white offered for 06.With my current ppg data base I simply enter the year and make and it gives me every available color option.This is realy very simple,we've come a long way since the days of the microfishe.I am not trying to sell you on ppg.I strarted painting bikes years ago for friends who where in exactly your shoes and tired of getting screwed by so-called custom painters.Fact is most of them aint got a clue.Ive re done enough of them to attest to that.If youre looking for out of this world art work then yes, by all means seek out the baddest airbrush artist on the planet.If youre simply seeking a straight color..a local body shop which paints thousands of vehicles yearly is youre best choice.More often than not the guy you would pay for your artwork subcontracts the base and clear application to a bodyshop painter anyway{they do spray every day}.

Heres how paint should be calculated.
Materials for paint are calculated into paint labor.Currently around $28 per paint labor hour are about avg.A hood on a Chevy Suburban pays aproximatly 3 hrs. of paint labor.Add $28 per paint labor hour to come up with materials and you have a base price to paint your hood.Of course you must add for the intangiables that the insurance companies have forced us into over maney years of suppresion.They may include:

Tint to match .8 hr.
Buff 1 hr.
Flex additive $12.00
Add for 3 stage 1 hr.

At a bodyshop rate of $40 per hour youd be making good money at $318 to paint a 3 stage Suburban hood.Now, how many inner fairings can you fit into a Suburban hood?Again $250 would be on the high side.

Any PPG shop or supplier can help you in your local area.When you enter the code into the data base it will spit out the white base formula as well as the pearl top coat formula.You dont even need the code..There is only one pearl white offered for 06.With my current ppg data base I simply enter the year and make and it gives me every available color option.This is realy very simple,we've come a long way since the days of the microfishe.I am not trying to sell you on ppg.I strarted painting bikes years ago for friends who where in exactly your shoes and tired of getting screwed by so-called custom painters.Fact is most of them aint got a clue.Ive re done enough of them to attest to that.If youre looking for out of this world art work then yes, by all means seek out the baddest airbrush artist on the planet.If youre simply seeking a straight color..a local body shop which paints thousands of vehicles yearly is youre best choice.More often than not the guy you would pay for your artwork subcontracts the base and clear application to a bodyshop painter anyway{they do spray every day}.

Heres how paint should be calculated.
Materials for paint are calculated into paint labor.Currently around $28 per paint labor hour are about avg.A hood on a Chevy Suburban pays aproximatly 3 hrs. of paint labor.Add $28 per paint labor hour to come up with materials and you have a base price to paint your hood.Of course you must add for the intangiables that the insurance companies have forced us into over maney years of suppresion.They may include:

Tint to match .8 hr.
Buff 1 hr.
Flex additive $12.00
Add for 3 stage 1 hr.

At a bodyshop rate of $40 per hour youd be making good money at $318 to paint a 3 stage Suburban hood.Now, how many inner fairings can you fit into a Suburban hood?Again $250 would be on the high side.

I fully understand now. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I need to check with the auto body shop and see what they can do for me. Thanks again!

Back