free website stats program My Riding Seasons Over :( | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Riding Seasons Over :(

Very fortunate you and your wife are okay. It may be advantage to just get another bike. There is an obvious record of the damage so the "perceived resale value" of your ride has dropped quite a bit. May want to get it repaired, but in the interim look for a new or slightly used machine...as Wildman9 said...may be best for you and your wife' peace of mind to get another.

I'm glad you and your wife are OK.
You say you have full collision and comp. and it was the other drivers fault?
Alberta indurance is guided much the same as Ontario.Call your agent and the adjuster and push for a rental while yours is being repaired.Your riding season doesn't have to be over.Even if you don't have rental insurance if it was the other drivers fault they give you a rental.Even in a no fault Province.

I'm glad you and your wife are OK.
You say you have full collision and comp. and it was the other drivers fault?
Alberta indurance is guided much the same as Ontario.Call your agent and the adjuster and push for a rental while yours is being repaired.Your riding season doesn't have to be over.Even if you don't have rental insurance if it was the other drivers fault they give you a rental.Even in a no fault Province.

Yep looking into that for sure. Rode Oregon at the start of the season and we have 2 weeks on Sept 1. Had the trip with the bike planned. The dealers have rentals (loaners) I could use. In the process of running it by the insurance company right now.

Very fortunate you and your wife are okay. It may be advantage to just get another bike. There is an obvious record of the damage so the "perceived resale value" of your ride has dropped quite a bit. May want to get it repaired, but in the interim look for a new or slightly used machine...as Wildman9 said...may be best for you and your wife' peace of mind to get another.

I didn't think of that. It would hurt my resale value. If the damage is not to major might be able to save that by having pure QEM parts and service done on it. Something I will keep in mind when talking to the insurance company.

I'd take my bike straight to a good dealer for an estimate (new parts & labor). Have them quote everything and then go to the insurance company. Document, document, document everything in case the insurance company tries to get out cheap (and they might). We had a helluva bad hail storm here in Sturgis on Friday and several custom rigs got wrecked. My buddies CVO roadglide got smoked and the insurance just cut him a check for $2K when the estimate from HD was over $3500. He's in a big battle with them right now.

glad to hear your family is ok.

Brother was staying in Hot springs and missed it. Said the hail was the size of your fist and did a number on alot of bikes. Rumor was some people got hurt to. Hope you had fun there. Will be going next year as it is a anniversary year and will be busier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there

My last post was here asking for advice after someone turned in front of me 9-11-08. I am grateful for the help and advice received here.
Therefore,
You don't have to do anything, the claim adjuster may total it regardless.
The dealer is going to look far deeper than you and I would and the claim adjuster will present you with the options. If you love it like I did, I let them total it and I brought it back to new. Just do your due diligence and be patient. Start seeing doctors and document your pain as they will weigh your pain and suffering based on records and bills. First you settle the damages then you settle the personal injury & pain & suffering. Don't feel guilty about P & S, it is like cream to coffee and they anticipate your compensation.
This was my personal experience and it was handled very respectfully by State Farm, the insurance of the idiot that didn't see me. Your case may have different challenges and there are 100 personal injury attorneys to help should his insurance worry you or your insurance not fight for you. You have all the power until you settle.
I now think everyone is out to hit me and ride accordingly and I am very close to getting a 2nd bike so I have one when one is getting fixed.
Happy you are survivors, welcome to the club, it will empower you both to get back on.

Re: Hang in there

Glad you and the wife only had minor injuries. Make sure that is all they are by seeing your doctor and documenting any issues. Hope the ride comes out they way you want it to.

Glad you & the wife are okay. Best of luck on the repairs. If it makes you feel any better, my husband tore his bicep last week so his harley season is pretty much over too. He did tell me that he can ride the dual sports okay though, (he is trying to avoid surgery for the repair). At least with the dual sport, they are light, & we won't cry too much if he has to let one fall. :s

Re: Hang in there

I'm sorry to hear about the accident but relieved to hear the injuries are not serious. I hope the dealership and insurance companies do right by you and get you on the road soon!

I now think everyone is out to hit me and ride accordingly
Glad to see you back and riding, John. I like the attitude, but I explain it in a bit less paranoid way: I ride like I'm invisible, that way when someone does something stupid to me and my bike, I can't retaliate :20:

Were they texting, Is it aginst the law in your state?, Sue them for everything, including STUPIDITY, if you can:bigsmiley12:

Well its's been three weeks and I'm waiting for the insurance appraiser to go to the dealer and look at the bike. Dealer called it a soft hit :) but still a little bit of damage. They stripped it down to the frame and made sure there was no frame damage or damage to the swing arm.

Damage was,
Rear Fender (Painted)
Rear directional mounting
Rear turn signals
License plate bracket
Tail lamp assembly
Rear bumper rail
Support kit brackets for saddle bags.
$1359 for parts $700 for labour. So a $2000 dollar touch.Was expecting more but happy with the news. Bike was looked at by Bruce at Kanes, heard alot of good reviews from friends about him. Guess he is real thorough.

Went to physio today, guess I got a torn rotator cuff and a tennis elbow type injury. Should get better for next spring. Just have to wait for the little womans report.

Still trying to get loss of use so I can get a rental for now.

Thanks for all your support. :>)

Back