free website stats program My Review of Spectro 6-Speed vs. Redline Shock Proof Heavy | Harley Davidson Forums

My Review of Spectro 6-Speed vs. Redline Shock Proof Heavy

bamorris2

I've ran Redline SPH since my 1000 mile service (now have 8000 miles). However, after joining this site and reading all the rave review of the Spectro 6-Speed tranny fluid, I decided to give it a try a few weeks back. I especailly liked the fact that Specto rates it as a GL5 fluid, whereas Redline doesn't rate their SPH.

Anyway, not to be a hater or anything, but I really think I like the Redline SPH, mainly for 2 reasons:
  • Noise. There seems to be a greater amount of "slop" or "slack" in the tranny with the Spectro fluid that wasn't there with the Redline SPH. Kinda like when your on the throttle, then let off, and get back on it. Perhaps the thicker SPH provides more "cushion" than the thinner Spectro..??..
  • Lurching. I start my motor with the tranny in nuetral. Like many others, my bike lurches forward a little when I put it in 1st gear. But the lurch seems to be more significant with the Spectro than the Redline.

None of these are really deal-breakers, but I'm not as excited about the Spectro as I was before I actually tried it. Many here strongly support the use of this Spectro fluid, even over the Redline SPH. I guess I did it expecting to find a little positive difference, but instead I've noticed a little negative difference. But I'm still left wondering if the Spectro, being a GL5 rated gear lube, is still better for the tranny than the (unrated) Redline Shock Proof Heavy..??..

Just my opinion that I wanted to share in case anyone else is in my situation.

Smitty - Great feedback, but could it be that the "draw back" of the SPH actually provides more "cushioning" in the tranny (as I listed as on of my issues with the Spectro)?

I believe if you check, you'll find that redline is rated at 75/240 for comparison reasons where the spectro is quite a bit less. I have used both and I prefer the Spectro myself. The lurching on start up is the result of the parasitic drag from the oil between the clutch plates. Hold the clutch in a few seconds before shifting into first when the oil is cold on startup.

I figured someone would ask ...

Red Line Synthetic ShockProof™ Gear Oil provides unequalled protection for high-performance differentials and transmissions which are heavily loaded or which see shock-loading. This revolutionary lubricant is completely different from conventional lubricant technology in several ways. The viscosity characteristics are significantly improved. Gear teeth need high viscosity at high temperatures to prevent metal-to-metal contact and a low viscosity when cold to reduce fluid friction.

The ShockProof™ chemistry significantly reduces the thinning effect of high-temperatures. The Heavy can be rated as a 75W250 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 75W90. The LightWeight can be rated as a 75W140 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 30 motor oil. The SuperLight can be rated as a 70W90 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an ATF. These ShockProof™ lubricants provide much greater viscosity in the thin layers between the gear teeth, but have very low internal fluid friction, which means very little power loss for the protection The above graphs display the unique performance characteristics of the Red Line ShockProof chemistry. The wear is one-tenth that of a petroleum product at moderate loads, the coefficient of friction is nearly half.

The most significant improvement comes with the ability to operate in extreme pressure regions with nearly three-times the load which can be handled with a conventional petroleum gear oil and the wear obtained is significantly lower at all pressures. Note how the Red Line Synthetic 75W90 Gear Oil is a significant improvement to the petroleum gear lubricants (most other synthetics are not significantly better than their petroleum counter-parts.) All ShockProof™ viscosity grades will provide similar metal-on-metal load-carrying capabilities, the higher viscosities will resist squeeze out better than the lower viscosities. achieved. ShockProof™ Gear Oil has a 40% lower coefficient of friction and 250% the load-carrying capacity compared to conventional gear oils, which means that metal-to-metal friction is greatly reduced.

Temperature reductions between 25°F - 75°F are common in circle track, road racing, and off-road
racing. Improved durability in high-performance use is the primary benefit of the Heavy ShockProof™ and along with the improved durability is an improvement in efficiency, but if further improvements in efficiency are desired, and durability is not a major concern, LightWeight and SuperLight ShockProof™ can be used. The cushioning effect of the ShockProof™ chemistry allows the use of one of the lighter viscosities in many performance applications with little sacrifice in durability. Red Line ShockProof™ can be used in conventional, limited-slip, or locker differentials.

Red Line ShockProof™ is designed for use in competition differentials and transmissions. The benefits of ShockProof™ Gear Oil are:

• Greatest extreme-pressure protection
• Reduces metal-to-metal contact
• Lowest coefficient of friction available
• Compatible with petroleums and synthetics
• Reduces temperatures dramatically
• Low fluid friction to improve power transfer
• Provides thicker oil films between gear teeth
• Provides gear teeth shock loading protection
• Completely resists throw-off
• Reduces gear noise

Wow! you are right FLHXTom... this is a great site. I have been using redline since my first oil change as one of the guys in my HOG club recommended it and he is a ret. motor cop. It really made a difference on the second oil change. First change I didn't notice a big difference. I attribute that to the dealer not warming up the oil prior to changing it and probably some of the original HD oil was left in the tranny. When I changed it I did it nice and hot and let it drain while I had lunch. There was a definite change. Less clunking, less parasitic jump on start up in neutral as described.

However, on my last two rides up on the Angeles Crest Hwy coming down the hill we always stop for gas at the bottom. The tranny is really hot from the constant shifting up and down. When we leave the gas station it seems like the oil has really thinned out and there is a lot of clunking into 1st and through 3rd to forth then it quiets down in 5th and 6th. When she cools off it's nice and quiet again.

I was looking for a dealer that sells Spectro Platinum for 6 speeds but haven't found it on the shelf yet. I figured I'd give it a try. For sure, to get most of the Redline (pink Pepto Bismol as some call it) out of the tranny it has to be well warmed up as that stuff sticks like glue at room temperature. I didn't know they made Redline w/shockproof in different grades. Maybe I bought the less viscous grade? Unfortunately, I recycled the bottle so I'll never know.

I like changing the oils frequently even though I'm sure I'm wasting some $ but it gives me a warm fuzzy. I'll try the Spectro and let you guys know what I notice...
Larry

I bought 3 bottles of it from Bob's Cycle Supply for $16.49 each plus 7 for shipping for all of it. A fair deal I thought.

I've been running the Spectro since my 1st oil change. I change it at 10,000 mile intervals. With 30,000 miles on the bike, The tranny shifts as smoothly and quietly (come-on, it's a Harley!!) as it did when I switched to the Spectro.
Whenever I change it, I have never found so much as a whisker of fuzz on the mag. plug, and it has been as clear and pink as it was when I poured it in.
One of my riding pards, with roughly the same mileage, has had the same results running Redline.
IMO, There is no way you can go wrong with either the Redline SPH or the Spectro Platnium Plus.

[*]Lurching. I start my motor with the tranny in nuetral. Like many others, my bike lurches forward a little when I put it in 1st gear.

I don't know about anyone else, but that happened to me a lot and I don't think it had anything to do with the transmission. I changed my primary fluid and there was too much in it. When I put the correct amount in, the lurching went away. Again, JMO.

I didn't know they made Redline w/shockproof in different grades. Maybe I bought the less viscous grade? Unfortunately, I recycled the bottle so

Larry

IF BOTTLE HAD THE PINK-RED LABEL IT WAS HEAVY.....

other colors on the lighter grades...

signed....BUBBIE

Back