free website stats program MPG after replacing pipes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

MPG after replacing pipes

I've just completed my first tank of fuel with the FM stage 1 package on my 09 FLHT. I've gone from 43 mpg stock to 32 mpg stage 1. I knew I was going to loose a little but that seems excessive. I don't think I was much harder on the throttle. My header pipes have turned blue also. FM has sent me another map for better mileage. I hope performance doesn't suffer because I can see a difference in power. Living in the north keeping an engine cool is not really an issue. Most of the time I'm huddled around it trying to stay warm.
Hahaha I hear you about the coolness. Try the foothills of the Canadian Rockies for coolness (and I don't mean how you look cruising by on your HD) :D

Glad to see mine is about normal. With A/C and pipes I was getting 39 to 41. Did the cam upgrade a couple of weeks ago with Andrews 26s and it dropped to 34 to 36. Could be partly 'cause I love the sound now. Still 10 mpg better than the Liberty and a lot more fun! :D

JFI,,,, My 09FLHR with full stage one and TFI... after many miles on the scooter having been set (TFI) and getting around 40 mpg Most of the time and running GREAT.

I did the SE255 cams and noticed it was Now running RICH,,, Just a little,,, I turned Down the Green Pot to suite my cams (@2000 rpm and smooth)... the mileage went back and is Still right at 40 mpg.

TFI good thing :bigsmiley16:

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUM,,, I can speak Canadian but that is as close as I want to go,,,, I'm trying to ONLY speak Arizonian and NOT washingtonian.... Soooooon I hope

JFI,,,, My 09FLHR with full stage one and TFI... after many miles on the scooter having been set (TFI) and getting around 40 mpg Most of the time and running GREAT.

I did the SE255 cams and noticed it was Now running RICH,,, Just a little,,, I turned Down the Green Pot to suite my cams (@2000 rpm and smooth)... the mileage went back and is Still right at 40 mpg.

TFI good thing :bigsmiley16:

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUM,,, I can speak Canadian but that is as close as I want to go,,,, I'm trying to ONLY speak Arizonian and NOT washingtonian.... Soooooon I hope
I downloaded and am running a map that's supposed to be close. Judging from the exhaust pipe color and plug color I think it might be a tad rich. Especially low to mid RPM where I run all the time. Having her dynoed is on my short list.

I've owned several touring models and have always gotten between 42-45 MPG. I don't ride easy either. But just doing 65 (speed limit here in Oregon) that's what I usually get. I'm running V&H headers and V&H Monster Ovals with SE air cleaner and SE race Tuner on my new 11 limited and still get in the 42-45 range. Where you ride effects MPG as well, hills or flat country.

I know one rider on his 09 Ultra that put the Fuel Pak on and he is getting a claimed 55. Looking at his pipes and exhaust ends you can see its running lean. Running to lean as mentioned can give you better MPG but it also will ping under heaver acceleration, loads and can lead to piston damage.

Just my contribution...I have an '03 RKC with an SE stage 1 air box, Hooker tuned-flow slip-ons (tuned for most free flow), TFI, and the rest is stock. I get around 28mpg during the week (around 6 mi trips to work, with lots of stop and go), and around 39mpg on the highway. Seems low to me, but performance is great.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I got as high as 45 mpg on my 2003 carb'd Deuce when i bought it. I recently triked it with a Frankenstein rear, 15x10 Weld Draglites, and Mickey Thompson 28x12x15 tires. I also added a full windshield. After recent carb repair (slide & diaphragm) and float adjustment (lowered it) I just clocked 42 mpg today so have no complaints. Stock TC88b with CV40 carb, 190 main, 45 slow (both factory), and stock needle, mixture screw plug drilled out. K&N air filter and V&H 2-1 Competition Series exhaust. Frankenstein told me I might lose 2-3 mpg due to added weight and wind resistance - which is right where I am.

Back