free website stats program MPG after replacing pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

MPG after replacing pipes

cowboywildbill

About 3 months ago on my 04 FLHTP I changed from Sampson 2 into 1 pipes back to factory headers and Sceaming Eagle older style pre epa slip on's.
I change due to a cracked pipe on the Sampsons. I like the sound and feel of the new exhaust better than the previous. I don't know what map had been installed previously with the 2 into 1's.
I am running a power commander 111 and down loaded the closest map for my present set up. I am stock except for pipes and a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner also.
I accually gained a few hp and some tourque in the process. I don't know what tuning if any or even if the bike had the correct map in it with the Sampsons. So it might have been leaner? Although I would have thought it would have been richer before?
Before I changed systems I was getting 38.5 mpg average. Now I am getting 35 to 36 mpg average. Nothing else has changed. I ride solo and is still a full police package with all equipment in place including full windshield.
I weigh about 197 lbs. I don't wail on it much mostly just cruise.
Does that mpg sound close or about what most are getting?

i'm getting 33-35mpg with true duals, v&h dreeser ovals, v&h fuel pack and heavy breather kit.

About 3 months ago on my 04 FLHTP I changed from Sampson 2 into 1 pipes back to factory headers and Sceaming Eagle older style pre epa slip on's.
I change due to a cracked pipe on the Sampsons. I like the sound and feel of the new exhaust better than the previous. I don't know what map had been installed previously with the 2 into 1's.
I am running a power commander 111 and down loaded the closest map for my present set up. I am stock except for pipes and a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner also.
I accually gained a few hp and some tourque in the process. I don't know what tuning if any or even if the bike had the correct map in it with the Sampsons. So it might have been leaner? Although I would have thought it would have been richer before?
Before I changed systems I was getting 38.5 mpg average. Now I am getting 35 to 36 mpg average. Nothing else has changed. I ride solo and is still a full police package with all equipment in place including full windshield.
I weigh about 197 lbs. I don't wail on it much mostly just cruise.
Does that mpg sound close or about what most are getting?

Maybe your getting on and off the gas a little more trying to compare the two systems. If not, try adjusting the map particularly in the cruise range.

Gas mileage is in direct relationship to right wrist. Its possible that with the bike sounding better than ever with the new exhaust your right wrist is working overtime.

That MPG doesn't sound bad... it means you're running a little richer, which as a positive is making the engine run a little cooler (a good thing). As long as you're happy with the performance, and don't notice any other detriments... ride & enjoy.

I think you could do better on your gas milage. I have an 05 FLHRS and my average is between 44 and 48 mpg. With perfect conditions I'll get 51 mpg. In the Nevada mountains (summer heat) on a long grade with a head wind going 75 to 80 mph I get 38 mpg. My bike is 88" with slip ons, big sucker A/C and a slightly modified carb. I'm 210 lbs. Just some info so you can compare.

I've just completed my first tank of fuel with the FM stage 1 package on my 09 FLHT. I've gone from 43 mpg stock to 32 mpg stage 1. I knew I was going to loose a little but that seems excessive. I don't think I was much harder on the throttle. My header pipes have turned blue also. FM has sent me another map for better mileage. I hope performance doesn't suffer because I can see a difference in power. Living in the north keeping an engine cool is not really an issue. Most of the time I'm huddled around it trying to stay warm.

Back