free website stats program Motorcycle Tire Reviews | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Tire Reviews

I stayed with the stock Dunlop 407 & 408. They are insane expensive and only available from HD but I got 22000 miles on the first set and the front tire was still inspectable. They are a multi compound tire (firmer in the center line, softer along the edges) They handle well and with almost twice the mileage as other tires I decided not to try something different.

This is my experience as well with my 2010 RK Classic. I got 25,613 miles out of the OEM Dunlop's and had no issues at all with performance and handling. The front tire was still within wear spec., rear was at the tread wear limit. I picked up a short nail in the rear tire this past summer. I noticed it while washing the bike. Pulled it out and was waiting for the hiss and flat tire. No damage! I researched the tire choices (WWW, not a whole lot of choice really) and chose to stay with the OEM Dunlop 407/408's. I have no complaints, they are very good tires.

First back tire change i tried the avon which wore faster as i like to tour many thousand kms, maybe not best choice but handles great. Rode down to the cords before going back to dunlop oem which is a good tire and I would not hesitate to go back, again rode down to cords and got roughly 11000 kms. Now on the metzler 888 and going to a front same for the 22000 km avon. See how the metzler works this season and it might be my new goto tire over the dunlop but probably would not try the avon again, for my riding longer I can get the better just in case their is no tyre shop nearby.

Has anyone tried the Dunlop American Elite? They look to be very similar, but the tread design is a bit different...

i continue to be amazed at what guys will do over a few cents worth of gas..jeapordize life, a $20K bike ..

Not always about saving gas, just poor planning on long trip...but not sure if I understand your point. I will definitely plan to do my tire at 10000km on back and 20000km on front regardless of condition, and plan where I am going to get the work done on the road when my trips are longer than 10000km.

I ran Metzlers on my Triumphs. Great tires, handling was superb. I will likely give them a go when my OEM Dunlops give it up. I have no complaints about them so far. But man I remember the difference in handling on those Triumphs when switching to Metzlers will be interesting to compare on my RK.
WAP.gif

Has anyone tried the Dunlop American Elite? They look to be very similar, but the tread design is a bit different...

Spike, sorry I didn't see this earlier, I could have given a more timely response. I have a Dunlop American Elite 200 x 17 on my softail. ~ 10K on it now, shows very little wear.

I have an '09 Ultra and have had good luck with the OEM Dunlops. The front tire was replaced under warranty at about 10,000 miles due to uneven wear. I got about 18000 out of the first rear tire.

Last year I replaced both tires at about 33,000 miles. This time I switched to Michilen Commander II's. I think they are a better choice. Better handling and also very quite when cornering. No whine from the front tire. Michilen says that they will be good for 20,000 miles. At this point I can't confirm that claim.

Back