free website stats program More cuts at H-D | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

More cuts at H-D

better a decrease in profits than an actual loss. gotta trim the fat for the lean times. if they stick with the basics theylle make it.

We only live about an hour south of York and I heard on the radio today about the final factory tour in September. That didn't sound too good to me.
I think I'll ride up there tommorow and go on a tour before it get's to crowded.
I sure hope they don't close down. So sad for the employees and for the local economy in York. York has lost so many major factories in the past.
Like Caterpillar for one.

What does the union have to do with sales and the economy in general being slow?

No union means lower salary's, less benefits, other areas willing to give tax breaks for them to move there, cheaper bikes (like that will happen) more sales.
I think in theory only. What they need to do is pull franchise's from bad dealers and maybe regain some customer satisfaction and some good word of mouth about the company. I imagine for every good thing said about a dealer somewhere, there is something bad said somewhere else. It's a 50/50 crap shoot finding a good dealer now, that's part of the problem.

Union & no union are two views that can get the ole emotions going.

I was under the impression at some point (when hd bought back fm AMF?) that the unions became major stock holders. Must not be true if company can close and cut back easily???????? Any info on that?

I would have to say that there are a lot of used bikes on the market right now and that is what I think is killing new bike sales.

We only live about an hour south of York and I heard on the radio today about the final factory tour in September. That didn't sound too good to me.
I think I'll ride up there tommorow and go on a tour before it get's to crowded.
I sure hope they don't close down. So sad for the employees and for the local economy in York. York has lost so many major factories in the past.
Like Caterpillar for one.
I have family in Harrisburg and we do the tour every once in a while when we visit. It is cool to see the upcoming color schemes.

i would not be suprised to see h-d plants moving to a diff area to aviod uions
Well if they move that would mean overseas or Mexico. I don't think HD's made in Mexico would go over too well. I know myself, If they move to Mexico, I will not be buying anything HD again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I see happening......
I have a 2007 FatBoy.... Complete custom paint...Vance & Hines pipes... custom made LePera seat made to match paint job. Thousands of dollars of extras. We have at least 10 dealers with 30 minute drive from my house. One dealer I know very well and personally know the owner. Saturday thought I might try and trade up to the Ultra and was knocked out of my chair for what they offered me for my bike.... What I was told is completely different from what I read here... Harley is offering low financing on the new bikes and you can also get some good local money for a new bike. The banks are not interested in loaning money for used bikes and there is an over abundance of used bikes here. My bike is paid for and I would pay the difference for a trade but the dealers are low balling trade in bikes because they have to sit on them for now. I was offered almost six thousand dollars less than what I was told just a few month ago... you might be surprized what your bike is worth right now in real dollars for what you think it is!

Well if they move that would mean overseas or Mexico. I don't think HD's made in Mexico would go over too well. I know myself, If they move to Mexico, I will not be buying anything HD again.
Everything in the HD Dealer already says made in China or Taiwan, I bought a new HD Fuel line it said Made in Mexico.

Back