free website stats program mobile1 5/50 vs mobile1 v twin 20/50 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

mobile1 5/50 vs mobile1 v twin 20/50

Okay, guess I'll come clean...I recently changed the oil in my Sporty to 15W-50 Mobil I...for several reasons...1.) Price $4.99 a quart it was a bargain $$$ wise, and 2) since I change oil every 3,000 miles because of my stop and go daily driver/commute vehicle application, it was just my personal decision to see if I would notice ANY long term effects.

Yes, it is minus the tiny bit of zinc low wear additive...but it still is 100% Synthetic Mobil I not a blend like Syn3...having all the friction modifiers, purity (no ash or unknown ingedients, and performance attributes only 100% Synthetics can provide. Honestly, I could use dino oil if I really wanted to save money as my engine runs cold, oil tank rarely gets over 160 deg F with plugs & pipes indicating a bit rich and I can get off the choke almost immediately after starting..m!

The point is if your bike is not running on the fringe, it will NOT self destruct just because you do a minor change in your oil under these conditions...and for a short time it is in your bike. It is your ride and you decide. I would probably not do it if I were running later model fuel injected bikes, but then I would also not be concerned about the $$$$ nearly as much either.

The O'Reilly's near me carries Mobil 1 V Twin. You might check if there is one near you, if they don't have it, they might order it for you.

The warnings here that the M1 15w50 is somehow deficient for use in a Harley engine are completely unfounded and untrue. I know numerous people who've used it long-term and have had no trouble. In fact, about two years ago two friends with 2000 EG's that performed a BB upgrade together. One used M1 15w50 for 60k miles on the clock and the other Amsoil 20w50 for 50k. An inspection of the pistons, cylinders, and valve-train showed no visible or measurable wear in either engine. In fact, the hone marks on the cylinders were still there and the piston coating was mostly intact in both. There was no indication that one of the two oils was protecting better than the other. The Amsoil cost about double that of the M1.

I've also seen three MC mags that've run comprehensive oil tests and the M1 15w50 always ranked among the top performers. The idea that it will degrade the durability or performance of your engine is completely without foundation. Also, if you go to the M1 site there is an item somewhere in the fact where this very question is asked, and the answer was that the 15w50 is perfectly suitable for use in a Harley engine. Moreover, I used a 20w50 "car oil" in my '96 RK and it is still running today at 120k miles with no engine work except a cam upgrade.

I have used the 15w50 in my bike many times, its good oil. Harley recommends 10w40 as an acceptable weight so I wouldnt worry about the difference between 15w50 and 20w50 at all....

Somebody wrote once that these bikes would run on olive oil if you keep it changed...just sayin :s

Back