free website stats program mobile1 5/50 vs mobile1 v twin 20/50 | Harley Davidson Forums

mobile1 5/50 vs mobile1 v twin 20/50

kcmoonman

Just wondering is there a difference between 15/50 and 20/50 syn?? ive been buying mobile1 syn vtwin about $ 11.00 qt and wally world has 15/50 syn for $23.00 for 5 qts. i live in kansas city now moving to Los angeles in August.

If you go to the Mobile website and search around, you can find the spec. sheets on both 15/50 and vtwin. The only difference I found is vtwin has a 35 degree higher flash point, and .0004% more zinc and phos., which are anti wear agents that are supposed to be critical to aircooled engines. There may be other improtant differences, but they are not listed. I made my choice on based on what they published.

Dont know the answer here, I do know H D used to sell 10w 40 dino oil but I dont know anyone who used it, best to check Mobils web site JMO

Stick with the 20/50 VTwin oil. The additives in it are for an air cooled motor whereas the 15/50 are for cars with water cooling.

Wally world here in Las Vegas Nv quite selling Mobile one V-twin.
I think they now carry Caster oil made for V-twin. Guess I should have bought a case for $9.00 some thing a quart.
Just my luck.

one point misunderstood about oils is that the 1st number is the true API spec "weight" of the oil or in this case lubricant. the 2nd number is the supposed "protective weight" of the fluid. a 20w50 is a 20 weight with additives and detergents to give the protection of a 50 weight oil or lubricant.
rest assured it is still a 20 weight fluid. in most cases, the viscosity improvers
(stuff that makes it protect like a 50w) and detergents are about used up and worn out at 3500 miles. not so much so with newer synthetics. they can work longer and harder but will lose their punch as well. time for a fluid change and time to get off'n the soap box. thanks.

i guess what im asking is, can i use the mobile1 15/50 instead of the 20/50 will it damage my engine??

You can use any oil you wish but 15/50 is lighter than needed in an air cooled motor.

I wouldn't use it in mine if that answers your question.

Back