free website stats program Missing air cover seal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Missing air cover seal

29510-05.JPG

You do not have a backing plate similar to this?

29510-05.JPG

You do not have a backing plate similar to this?

Nope. Nothing. I've attached a photo. It just mounts directly to the intake. Seems to work just fine. The owner just never said anything about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_171936_690.jpg
    IMG_20141130_171936_690.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 52
The K&N filter was mounted DIRECTLY to the throttle body with a gasket in between. Then the cover mounted to the filter on the other side with the stock bracket. There isn't a backplate at all. If it is mounting to the throttle body, is a backplate even necessary?

Yes you need a backing plate. The biggest reason is that the backing plate holds the throttle body steady and relieves pressure on the intake seals on each head. The backing plate attaches to each head with those nipples that are sticking out. In addition to holding the throttle body, those nipples are where the crankcase pressures vent out. Look at the photo of the chrome stage1 back plate. Those round black things pop out, then the nipple/bolts go in the holes and into the heads, then the round black plugs push back in and vent the crankcase air/oil particles into the throttle body to be burned.
You can pick up a used twin cam backing plate for cheap on ebay, a few dollars more will get you a stage 1 kit.

Yes you need a backing plate. The biggest reason is that the backing plate holds the throttle body steady and relieves pressure on the intake seals on each head. The backing plate attaches to each head with those nipples that are sticking out. In addition to holding the throttle body, those nipples are where the crankcase pressures vent out. Look at the photo of the chrome stage1 back plate. Those round black things pop out, then the nipple/bolts go in the holes and into the heads, then the round black plugs push back in and vent the crankcase air/oil particles into the throttle body to be burned.
You can pick up a used twin cam backing plate for cheap on ebay, a few dollars more will get you a stage 1 kit.

That makes sense. However, the throttle body is attached to a black bracket which attaches to each nipple (you can see it in my pic above the throttle body opening). It seems like this might do the same job as the backing plate, but maybe not.

I did find some backing plates on Ebay (other than the stock plastic backing plate). Is this what you are referring to (see attached pic)? It claims to be for any '08 and up twin cam.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 23
The stage 1 backing plates appear to fit a round air filter. The K&N filter I have is the same shape as stock (kind of half moon shaped, not a full circle). Not sure if this will fit the round backing plate, or if it even matters...

That is the correct backing plate, your KN filter will not work with that backing plate, however KN does make a round filter and YES you need that backing plate for a correct install
Sorry for the bad news

That is the correct backing plate, your KN filter will not work with that backing plate, however KN does make a round filter and YES you need that backing plate for a correct install
Sorry for the bad news

At least I know what I'm dealing with now. When I first started this thread earlier today, I thought I just needed a rubber seal. Now I know I have a stage 1 upgrade, even though whoever did it decided to skip the backplate... I can probably get a few bucks back for my current K&N filter on Ebay and then get a used backplate/filter. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks as always for the great advice.

Back