free website stats program Making turn signals all manual | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Making turn signals all manual

I just read about the TSC unit in my manual.

There maybe some side effects to removing the W/GRN (Pin 3 of module)

You may loose AVC (Automatic Volume Control) for your radio and Cruise control on Ultra models.

By disconnecting the reed switch signal there is no voltage to operate those functions.

Being a newbie, someone with more experience may be able to verify this.

For BTSOM........Did you ever find a fix for this problem. Drives me crazy too!

And me too, in English traffic I'm forever checking their either still on cos I've not yet turned, or checking cos I have turned and their still flashing.

It would be nice to be treated like adults and have the choice.

(i've had my current road king over 3 years, ride every day, and still hate 'em )

To the defense of the automatic turn signal, I must say that I have never found it a problem. On the rare occasion that I have to cancel it manually, I just hit the button.
I also think that HD idea of having a button on each side is much better than having both sides turn signals on one switch as on most bikes. Though it seems BMW who were using the same layout as HD are now abandoning it.
I remember when one had to let go of the handlebar and stick an arm out to indicate.

To the defense of the automatic turn signal, I must say that I have never found it a problem. On the rare occasion that I have to cancel it manually, I just hit the button.
I also think that HD idea of having a button on each side is much better than having both sides turn signals on one switch as on most bikes. Though it seems BMW who were using the same layout as HD are now abandoning it.
I remember when one had to let go of the handlebar and stick an arm out to indicate.

I agree w/ Romain, coming from a Metric ride, it took me awhile to even get used to a turn signal button for each thumb...besides the rather long reach!

This is a classic case of the pilot having to adapt to the machine...Not pretty, but it works! :coffee

I agree w/ Romain, coming from a Metric ride, it took me awhile to even get used to a turn signal button for each thumb...besides the rather long reach!

This is a classic case of the pilot having to adapt to the machine...Not pretty, but it works! :coffee

Well, that's a pretty good analogy, and as it should be. No 2 aircraft control panels are the same...as no automotive control panels are exactly the same.
Therefore, why should anyone expect all motorcycle controls to be exactly the same?
There is nothing wrong with having to adapt to the operating characteristics of your machine.
I am really ....really tired of everyone trying to make EVERYTHING absolutely idiotproof.
Not a rant......just saying...:newsmile029:

When an automated system requires EXTRA mental effort to make sure of what it is doing, it is no longer a benefit to the user. For those whose techniques match the factory programming of the signal system, congrats, for the rest of us, the system creates ADDITIONAL work load, usually in a critical traffic situation where the diversion of attention becomes a danger, along with having an UNINTENTIONAL signal flashing. Out in the toolies, it makes no difference. Certainly the computer power exists today to allow the rider to program the system to his individual preference, at least an auto/manual choice.

When an automated system requires EXTRA mental effort to make sure of what it is doing, it is no longer a benefit to the user. For those whose techniques match the factory programming of the signal system, congrats, for the rest of us, the system creates ADDITIONAL work load, usually in a critical traffic situation where the diversion of attention becomes a danger, along with having an UNINTENTIONAL signal flashing. Out in the toolies, it makes no difference. Certainly the computer power exists today to allow the rider to program the system to his individual preference, at least an auto/manual choice.

True, but at what cost? The energy/effort to fix this issue verses plain ordinary motorcycle basics expenditure may be too high...corporations after all are profit and shareholder driven.

Customer satisfaction and marketing strategy with a company like HD that has been around for years is relatively low on the priority list unless escalated by enough people like you who really feel they need it...:s

BUT does HD have an 1-800 number or customer survey form or on-line tech support? I was reminded by Glider and company when I first posted on HDT...it has been an eye-opener...HD has a great product, but the marketing and consumer satisfaction issue has come and gone a long time ago...(they have been resting on their laurels for years) I'll get off my soapbox now...:small3d011:

I just read about the TSC unit in my manual.

There maybe some side effects to removing the W/GRN (Pin 3 of module)

You may loose AVC (Automatic Volume Control) for your radio and Cruise control on Ultra models.

By disconnecting the reed switch signal there is no voltage to operate those functions.

Being a newbie, someone with more experience may be able to verify this.

Can Glider or anyone else, confirm whether removing W/GRN (Pin 3 of TSC module) will allow manual control of the signal lights. If were not so cold I would be on my bike right now just to proove this.

Back