free website stats program Making turn signals all manual | Harley Davidson Forums

Making turn signals all manual

btsom

Machine: 2008 Road King, no security system.

I find the auto canceling feature of the turn signal system to be much more of an irritation than a benefit. Anyone know how to disable the auto canceling features so I can take full control of the system and have no surprises? With all of the computer controls in the entire gadget, it seems that clipping a wire or pulling a fuse is no longer an option. Both the local dealer and the HD tech phone number have been no help. They seem to be "afraid" to let me disable an automatic system which requires too much "baby sitting".

The signals are managed by the TSM and would require quite a bit of rewiring to the bike to eliminate the auto feature which would no doubt be the cuse of the dealer telling you that your warranty is void because of the alterations to the wiring system.

How long have you been riding this bike? Like anything else in life that's new, you just have to give it some time and get used to it. I wouldn't start messing with wiring modifications just to eliminate this feature. Besides, you actually can use it as a manual system and cancel it yourself by hitting the turn switch a second time.

Wasn't going to go into details, but have had this machine for 7 months, 5500 miles. I have read the book and know how they are supposed to work. Even so, I find they cancel before I'm ready or haven't canceled when they should have. As traffic gets very busy, I have to divert my attention from a developing traffic situation and look down to see what the automatic system is doing, sometimes, if it is flashing and I don't want it to, the time between the look down and the time I hit the TS button to manually cancel, the system HAS canceled and I have actually re-activated the system. I have been riding for over 40 years and am well established in manually controlling turn signals. I am also a retired pilot with extensive experience in automated systems and have no difficulty in recognizing when some "automated" system actually INCREASES work load.

On the surface, this seems like a simple question, it is MY bike and I have a preference for the way the turn signals operate. Any other discussion seems like a waste of band width. The only other machine I've owned with auto canceling turn signals was a 92 Yamaha which I rode until I got this machine. Within 3 months of getting the Yamaha, I disabled the auto turn signal feature and had no more difficulty. But it was an "analog" machine and had dedicated wiring, no multifunction "serial bus" wires.

Sorry to seem crabby about this, but I have tried several different sources looking for an answer (some indicated in initial entry) and t get the same run around at each location. "how much time have you had to get used to the system, I'm lucky that they work properly, void warrenty.....all avoiding answering the actual question.

I would suggest buying the Electrical Service Manual and researching the schematics for the related systems.
What you wish to do may not even be a possibility, without completely reworking the wiring and switches.
Unless you are able to get an answer from HD Engineering. I think this is something you are going to have to figure out on your own.

I don't think you can do this without getting rid of the turn signal module. Removing that could cause other problems with the electrical system. The last suggestion is actually the best so you can see what's wired where. Not sure what else is mated in the module. In the past there was a bank angle sensor in the turn signal module!:s

I have the shop manual which has wiring diagrams BUT no explanation of what each wire actually does. As an example, the terms "left turn feed" and "left turn switch input". From the name, I'm not confident of the function of "left turn feed". "Switch input" seems fairly intuitive as to what it does. "Serial Data" seems to be the only other source of distance information, but the TSM also has the tip over sensor and will shut off the engine if it senses a tip over. I assume this information is also transmitted as "serial data" so cutting that line does not seem to be an option. For those familiar with programing a PIN in the security module, some one thought that perhaps the turn signals could be user programed similarly. No one has volunteered any more info on that idea.

Wasn't going to go into details, but have had this machine for 7 months, 5500 miles. I have read the book and know how they are supposed to work. Even so, I find they cancel before I'm ready or haven't canceled when they should have. As traffic gets very busy, I have to divert my attention from a developing traffic situation and look down to see what the automatic system is doing, sometimes, if it is flashing and I don't want it to, the time between the look down and the time I hit the TS button to manually cancel, the system HAS canceled and I have actually re-activated the system. I have been riding for over 40 years and am well established in manually controlling turn signals. I am also a retired pilot with extensive experience in automated systems and have no difficulty in recognizing when some "automated" system actually INCREASES work load.

On the surface, this seems like a simple question, it is MY bike and I have a preference for the way the turn signals operate. Any other discussion seems like a waste of band width. The only other machine I've owned with auto canceling turn signals was a 92 Yamaha which I rode until I got this machine. Within 3 months of getting the Yamaha, I disabled the auto turn signal feature and had no more difficulty. But it was an "analog" machine and had dedicated wiring, no multifunction "serial bus" wires.

Sorry to seem crabby about this, but I have tried several different sources looking for an answer (some indicated in initial entry) and t get the same run around at each location. "how much time have you had to get used to the system, I'm lucky that they work properly, void warrenty.....all avoiding answering the actual question.

Don't worry about seeming crabby - we're all friends here most of the time so we accept you and all accompanying moods. Sometimes we just have to make assumptions based on limited info or ask questions which seem dumb to you but not us. It's the nature of an internet forum and is not meant to be a comment on your riding experience or skills.

OK, I understand your frustration with the system. As you've discovered, I'm afraid there is no easy solution. If you're real electrically/mechanically inclined and have the manuals you might be able to figure it out. I can't believe HD engineering or a dealer service department can't give you a straight answer.

Only solution obvious to me is use the system as designed when appropriate and then switch to hand signals only if you're doing a lot of lane changes and turns and don't want to mess with the automatic system.

Good luck and ride safe!!

Thanks, Doc, appreciate the thought. This is typical of the answers I have been getting form folks I believe should know. I think Delphi provides the computers to Harley, if not let me know who does and I'll send a note to the correct outfit.

Thank you for contacting delphi.com.

Due to contracts and warranty agreements with Harley-Davidson, Delphi does not provide technical support to consumers. The information you are requesting would be considered proprietary and most likely the procedure would void your warranty.

Sincerely,
delphi.com Customer Service

Original Inquiry:
----------------------------------------------------

I have a 2008 Harley-Davidson Road King motorcycle. The automatic features of the turn signal system generate more difficulty than help. In over 40 years of riding motorcycles, the habit of manually canceling turn signals after a turn or lane change is firmly established.

I have the shop manual for the machine and it contains wiring diagrams for the various systems. With all of the computer controls involved, the way to eliminate the auto canceling features of the turn signal system is not obvious. Neither the local dealer nor the Harley-Davidson factory technical support people are able or willing to help me. Some internet searching has indicated there may be a way for an owner to easily re-program the turn signals by cycling the ignition switch a number of times and then pressing the turn signal switches in a certain sequence. If that is possible, and if you could provide the step by step procedure, I would be happy to re-set the system so it works better for me. I accept total responsibility for the results of applying this information.

Thank you for any information you might be able to provide.

Back