free website stats program Making turn signals all manual | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Making turn signals all manual

I spoke with the HD technicians at my dealer a while back and was told "dont signal! No one else does!"
There is nothing worse than indicating to turn, complete the turn, then having to look down at the instrument panel only to see that you still have your turn signal flashing, then hit the signal button AGAIN to cancel (usually just as auto cancel is kicking in) so now with the bike vertical the turn signal is indicating your going to move to another lane/or turn and your not, so you hit the signal button AGAIN to cancel and it does...just in time as you're about to make another turn/move lanes in the exact same direction as you were in the first place and you have start with the same palaver all over again...so much for enjoying the scenery...:newsmile040:
Is there a some sort of ingenious HD biker procedure thingy that you have to do that makes this system actually work to the benefit of the rider? Because I am soooo totally not getting it...:yeahright

I spoke with the HD technicians at my dealer a while back and was told "dont signal! No one else does!"
There is nothing worse than indicating to turn, complete the turn, then having to look down at the instrument panel only to see that you still have your turn signal flashing, then hit the signal button AGAIN to cancel (usually just as auto cancel is kicking in) so now with the bike vertical the turn signal is indicating your going to move to another lane/or turn and your not, so you hit the signal button AGAIN to cancel and it does...just in time as you're about to make another turn/move lanes in the exact same direction as you were in the first place and you have start with the same palaver all over again...so much for enjoying the scenery...:newsmile040:
Is there a some sort of ingenious HD biker procedure thingy that you have to do that makes this system actually work to the benefit of the rider? Because I am soooo totally not getting it...:yeahright

I think the heart of the problem is that HD designed it as an automatic TURN signal system, and in this arena it works great. Coming up on a stop sign, light, or intersection and you intend to TURN so you hit the switch and it continues signaling until you've completed the turn. Wonderful! The problem is when you try to use the system as a LANE CHANGE indicator. This is where it becomes a burden instead of a safety aid as several posters have so perfectly described. In this situation, I've gotten in the habit of:
1)Turn head to ensure lane is clear
2)Hit turn signal switch
3)Begin lane change
4)Hit turn signal switch again to cancel before lane change is 100% complete.

I can do this without even once looking down at my turn signal indicator. I'm still signaling my intentions to surrounding traffic. I don't see any advantage to leaving the signal flashing throughout the entire lane change.

This is obviously only one man's solution but it works great for me and eliminates the frustration of using this system in a manner for which I'm not sure it was intended.

1)Turn head to ensure lane is clear
2)Hit turn signal switch
3)Begin lane change
4)Hit turn signal switch again to cancel before lane change is 100% complete.

I can do this without even once looking down at my turn signal indicator. I'm still signaling my intentions to surrounding traffic. I don't see any advantage to leaving the signal flashing throughout the entire lane change.

This is obviously only one man's solution but it works great for me and eliminates the frustration of using this system in a manner for which I'm not sure it was intended.

I do the same thing.
One other thing is if you hold the signal button in as you approach an off ramp, the time out begins when you let go of the button.

I understand the frustration you all have with the turn signals, because I thought of the same thing myself. I found that it's too impractical to rewire the bike, install a flasher and a relay, install a hazard function switch (if you really want it), and on top of that deal with the MIL light. It's way more aggravating than just hitting the turn signal switch a few extra times a ride.

Hmmmmmmm!

The HD self-cancelling turn signals are tilt activated, the problem (my problem!) arises because I'm not tilting the bike far enough when turning...could this be a european phenomenom???

The roads here are not as wide as in the US, and would I be right in saying roundabouts are non existent stateside???
I have discovered a possible fix although the cure appears worse than the disease so to speak!!!

I have PM'd Glider with the possible fix, and will leave it with him to decide whether it can be posted or not as there is a possible infringement of copyright...:57:

The self cancelling feature is not tilt activated, they turn off by either time or distance traveled. They used to have the bank angle sensor in the module it would turn the bike off if you dropped it. It didn't always work, if I am not mistaken they did away with the bank angle sensor in 03?
I believe the time delay is about 15 seconds and I forget what distance is before they cancel out.:bigsmiley14:

I have PM'd Glider with the possible fix, and will leave it with him to decide whether it can be posted or not as there is a possible infringement of copyright...:57:

As long as you post the source, I don't see a problem with it.

Hmmmmmmm!

The HD self-cancelling turn signals are tilt activated, the problem (my problem!) arises because I'm not tilting the bike far enough when turning...could this be a european phenomenom???

The roads here are not as wide as in the US, and would I be right in saying roundabouts are non existent stateside???
I have discovered a possible fix although the cure appears worse than the disease so to speak!!!

If there might be a copyright problem, what publication do I need to BUY to get this knowledge? I have already paid for the machine, the owner's manual and the shop manual. Seems that still isn't enough. Even so, I don't mind paying for additional "intellectual property".

My 2008 XL Nightster 1200 owners manual states that the turn signals automatically cancel based on the following three factors speed, distance, and the lean-bank sensor.
This also backs up what my dealer told me when I bought the bike, now he would'nt lie to me now would he...:eam

The following link is from xlforum.net which is dedicated to Harley Davidson Sportsters & Buell motorcycles only.

I suggest that you be patient and read ALL of the thread, I say this as there are some hyperlinks embedded in the original thread (related to the same subject) that will take you to other threads and its easy to get lost and miss out on some very interesting information.

Thanks glider...:D

And a big thankyou to the members of xlforum.net...:57:

Disabling auto-cancelling turn signals - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

Back