free website stats program Lowering A Road King? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering A Road King?

If you really want to do this, try to find someone who will let you ride their FLHRS or FLHX (Road King Custom or Street Glide). These come from the factory with 1" lower suspensions than the regular touring models and you will see if there is a handling difference or not and then move from there. I have the FLHRS and the biggest complaint I have, is that when you go through parking lots, the speed bumps get a lot bigger, which you really need to slow for, or you will scrape the bottom of your frame, also getting the bike on the stand is a bit of a challenge as well if you are by yourself.
Tire to fender clearance in the front is the same, can not confirm the back or not.

I don't think that RK (or any other Touring model) is suitable for lowering... It can technically be done but doesn't look good for me :)

I don't think that RK (or any other Touring model) is suitable for lowering... It can technically be done but doesn't look good for me :)

I respectfully disagree......But to each his own.......:D
IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_82081.jpg

Last edited:
JMHO - if you decide you need to lower the bike, try changing your riding style FIRST (new riders have a tendancy to ride "straight up" and loose precious gound clearance) because they have not learned to "stand the bike up" slightly by bending your elbow on the inside and applying pressure on the outboard peg (counter leaning bike by centering weight more to the inside peg).

Next, start with the seat, bars, controls placement and other simple things (you can also adjust the pegs/floorboards in many cases). If you do this over time, you STILL decide to lower the bike, again do this in stages...as Glider says the handling and the stabiliity of the bike is affected, but lower both front and rear equally. You will usually find the happy compromise before you fully "drop" the suspension beyond 2"...!

JMHO - if you decide you need to lower the bike, try changing your riding style FIRST (new riders have a tendancy to ride "straight up" and loose precious gound clearance) because they have not learned to "stand the bike up" slightly by bending your elbow on the inside and applying pressure on the outboard peg (counter leaning bike by centering weight more to the inside peg).

I'm a bit thick sometimes. Could you please elaborate on this a bit. I think you are saying that while being stopped, lets say, left foot down, bend the left elbow and throw a bit of pressure on the right board to keep the bike upright? At least that's the picture in my mind.

I know a guy in my area who has a Road King. He could not flat foot it and had trouble backing up. He left the bike as it came and had his standard seat redone at Mean City Cycle. They cut it down and added memory foam and narrowed the front of the seat a bit. He is very happy with the seat and he says it is comfortable for him on long rides too. I think his bike is an 08 model classic.

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_82081.jpg

WoW !..Great Look!...Did you do that work on that yourself ?....Did it seem to change the center of gravity much. I am gettin up a little in years...lol jus a bit....i sat on on a delux and can't believe the difference in the feel coz it sat so much lower. I really don't want to go to a trike when i get older...nothing against trikes mind ya now...

Last edited:
IMG_6135.jpg

I LOVE the way that sits!

If you like the looks and it changes the handling then you adjust.

My Heritage is lowered and I love it! I'm 5' 5" on a stock seat.

I know the issues and they are acceptable.

Back