free website stats program Lower fairings or not | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower fairings or not

I have Sage Brush soft lowers, had them on 2 different bikes, like them a lot. In Michigan you can leave in a sleevless T for a lakeshore ride, come home in a jacket and the lowers on.

there nice in the rain and the cold, only took them off for the sturgis rally
other than that in the NW they stay on.
Plans are to do the hog tunes with the amp in the lowers since I never use the glove boxes.
My girlfriend has the soft lowers on her road glide and she loves them this time of year.

This is the first cold weather I have experienced the lowers in and went riding today. It was great and wasn't a bit cold. On my old heritage I would have been real cold and not able to ride for the 3 hrs we enjoyed today. Wouldn't want to be without them.

Hi guys, new to this site. Just popped in a new cam shaft last week and got good info here.

For the lowers, I've had them on my EGClassic since I bought it in Sept'94. Seems to have extended the life of the old girl with running cooler as noted above by others. She's got over 213,000 kms and engine still in the frame.

But in reality, I ran Goldwings for 15 yrs before I swiched in '94 and really wanted the extra weather protection. It's cold up here.

Pete

I have to give an update to this thread because I originally said my lowers come off once the weather gets warm & stays warm; this spring, I tried some inexpensive vents that seem to work great. The vents can be open or closed, no in between, but so far that has been fine. I have been riding with the lowers ever since cutting the vents in and have not experienced too much heat yet. We are getting ready to have a string of days in the upper 90's, so I'll really get to check them out in the heat in the next few days. The vents come in Chrome or Black, I got the Black because I thought it would not stick out as much.

Attachments

• Lower vent 1.JPG
    Lower vent 1.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Lower vent 2.JPG
    Lower vent 2.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 48
I'm not a big fan of them (looks mostly) on my Electra Glide but my Dad loves the extra storage in his Ultra.

I think you said you said you were looking into a "touring bike". I have a RG and the HD lowers made a huge difference in buffeting. I added vents to my lowers and it moves the heat away from the legs when moving, especially on the right side.

I did have soft lowers and sold them to members here once I went to HR lowers. I'm in FL and run them year round.

Ride safe and have fun!

Grillfish, how did you add the vents? I'd like to add them to the HD lowers that I added to my 09 RG.

The ones I have are the same ones Grillfish has, you have to cut your lowers to install them; you get a template in the vent kit, once cut out the vents snap into place. The install is much easier than one would think, the worst part is cutting into your perfectly fine lowers!

Back