free website stats program Low Fuel Engine Light | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low Fuel Engine Light

I have just over 2,100 miles now on my 2008 XL883L. I bought the bike in June of 2008. For the first few months, I ran it stock and the gas light would come on at around 110-miles just like clockwork. I would fill the tank, and it would take about 2.2 gallons.Never put in more than 2.5 gallons.It has 3.3 gallon tank.

Attachments

• 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the post orgredneck. I would assume since you do indeed have the 3.3 gallon tank, that running the 883 verses the 1200 must give you the extra fuel mileage before the low fuel light that those of us running the 1200 don't see. Definitely good to know.

Filled mine for the 2cnd time this wekend. Low fuel light came on at 127 miles. Filled it up within 10 miles and took a whoppinf 2.8 gals. I have the 4.5 gal tank. I may try stretching it to the 150/175 mark to see how it does. Tracy

Filled mine for the 2cnd time this wekend. Low fuel light came on at 127 miles. Filled it up within 10 miles and took a whoppinf 2.8 gals. I have the 4.5 gal tank. I may try stretching it to the 150/175 mark to see how it does. Tracy

If you want to find out how far you can go with out having to push the bike, buy a little fuel can and take it with you. Then go ride till you run out of gas. I have a little fuel cylinder made for carrying coleman fuel when your backpacking. It holds about 1/3 of a gallon, that should be enough to get you to a gas station in an emergency. I take it with me when I'm out on long rides in the mountain country of Montana. Sometimes you just never know where the next gas station will be out there.

I get about the same on my 2008 nightster. I will only admit here, I have been riding fast most of the time. I mostly just ride to work and a little bit to go to lunch or something. My light comes on around 80 or 90 miles on the Od. I usually fill up around then and generally only put in about 2 1/2 gallons for the 3.3 tank.

My bike is going in for its 1,000 mile service this weekend (even though I have over 1,300 miles on it). I will ask about the fuel light issue, but like many of you, I just reset my tripmeter after every fill up. I feel comfortable going about 160 miles before refilling... I usually put in about 3.8 gallons at that point. I have pushed it to 180, but the bike was lurching at slower speeds, but still had 1/2 gallon in the tank.

regards,
Drew

PS: I just re-read my initial post, and the light comes on at 130 miles, not 140-150 as I stated in my original post.

My '06 XL1200C has a carb, and I push it to 160 mi on the OD before filling up when hitting the hiway. In town, I fill up at 130, and have never had to turn on the reserve. My roadster tank holds 4.6 gal, and it takes 3.2 to fill up at these points.

Riding an XL883. Last trip to the gas station my fuel warning light was on at 73 miles and it took 7.9L or 2 US gallons to refill. Like most on this thread it's annoying riding with the light on when you still have 1/3 of your max capacity on board and if you ever fail to keep an eye on the odo, you could get caught out because the warning light "cries wolf" so much. I'm going to ask the dealership about it when it's in for its first service.

Any know if keeping bike upright makes a difference at filling time? I'd have thought the design was to fill on jiffy stand - it'd be a hassle to try keep it upright with the nozzle in the tank.

I have the 4.5 gal tank for 2005 XL1200C on my bike, standing up the bike doesn't let you pump in any additional gas, as the tank is pretty flat and no air pockets either "once you fill 'er to the neck (but not the overflow tube). :51: Since I have a carburetor my fuel petcock has reserve position and quite honestly, rarely use it while on the road, never want to run it to the reserve. JMO

I have an 07 Nightster and on rough roads (the only kind found in Wisconsin) the low fuel light comes on around 70 miles, then when the road smooths out, the light goes out, only to come on at the next bump. I use the OD and refuel at 90 mi. Best mileage ever was 45mpg.

Jake

Back