free website stats program "Loud" Exhaust Experiences | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Loud" Exhaust Experiences

Black V&H Sideshots (not to be confused with shortshots) these are exactly the type of pipes that the authoritys are looking to ban, I have passed cagers (maybe a bit too close...:D) and watched them jump right out of their own skin.
I would be interested to know how this new amendment will be enforced, from what I can gather here in europe the ban will come into force 01/03/2009 I have spoken to traffic police in my area and heard rumours from other bikers but still have not seen anything official in writing, this is more or less what will happen.
If you are stopped and your exhaust system exceeds more than 80dB (V&H Sideshots deliver about 110dB) you can be fined upto €1000, your bike will be impounded, you then have to send a mechanic to do whatever is necessary ie; change the pipes back to an EPA approved exhaust system, he then has to take the bike to an authorized test station to be re-tested, once issued with new paper work he must deliver the bike back to the compound, you pay your fine, you pay the mechanic, you collect your bike.
If you are stopped again for the same offence you can be fined well over €2000 and can result in permanent forfeiture...bye bye bike...:bigsmiley15:
But that's not all, rumour has it this new amendment will allow local law enforcement agencys to issue a fines without the authorities having to prove the bike exceeded the 80dB limit, this means fines can be issued to unattended parked motorcycles and towed away, what the...:34:

Crambo, I think it was Hobbit who read the decal right off the exhaust decal of his new 2009 Heritage that stated 89dB so even the stock ones from the HD factory do not pass.

There is going to be a serious amount of motorcycles in the impound yard if that figure of 80dB is enforced. I think this motorcycle profiling thing is going way over the top!

I have V&H slip ons with a V&H Fuel Pack and Filter, love the sound and performance. Have not had any problems with the law (in the USA or Canada) in terms of Noise Levels or EPA issues, however I can say that I am not looking forward to the day thet "Big Brother" starts inforcing these laws.

We can only hope that this energy is focused on keeping the DUI / DWI drivers off the road!!

I know that the “debate” of exhaust “noise” has been fielded many times over the various forums and internet articles. My issue is with practicality and fellow H-D rider’s experiences. When enjoying a typical afternoon ride (and I’m not talking about trying to set new land speed records or participating in a game of “how many car alarms can I set-off"), have you encountered an inquisitive LEO or been cited for having these “Scarlet Letters” etched into your chrome? Worse yet, has anyone fallen victim to an actual road-side noise metering device.

Try parking garages ,its music to the ears , the exhaust sound is 50xxxx LOUDER, Then just as its sounds so sweet those darn car alarms going off everywhere, theres nothing better then seeing 8 to 10 secirity guards running at you and waving there hands as lights and horns flash from 60 to 70 cars , then pass by the next day and see a fresh new sign NO Motorcycles allowed ,:lolrolling

This is the type of "game" that's increasing the number of noise laws and getting motorcycles banned in more and more places.

Last fall on the last two good riding days my wife and I took off work and headed to Niagra Falls where we decided to stay the night at the Fallsview Marriot, the Valet invited me to park in the sidelight area under the canopy.When we sarted the bike in the morning ,the guests in the foyer came running out,apparently it sounded like shots reverberating against the glass and I have (had) stock pipes:)

I got the eagle 2s on my wide glide,the testing stations(not all of them)give a cautionary on the pipes,to cover thier own situpons,the police and most everybody I know or talk to accept a big bike ,especially HD's,make a big noise.At least here in this neck of the woods.As long as the pipes look like mufflers,the locals here accept them.

It's not my fault....:newsmile026: I didn't start the bike before I bought it. :D It's not my fault.....But I do tend to set off car alarms when I have been riding by, quietly, not on the throttle or anything, hubby's bike doesn't do that, hmmm........that's my story & I'm sticking to it. :s

:DThe louder the better love to hear them drag pipes.Cops around hear are more likely to stop a cage with cherry bombs then a loud bike they all ride to,down with the man!

Nothing like the sound of a Harley. My first few bikes, the louder the better and my RK with Bassani duals and Hooker Exhaust were "OBNOXIOUS" especially when I got the cams installed. I could rattle the bolts right out of a car sitting next to me! :D Awesome.......

Then after finding out that there's more to life than riding from bar to bar, I started to enjoy the longer rides. After hours and hours or even days out on the road, I started to really hate those loud obnoxious pipes of mine. After a days ride I was exhausted from the noise. Yeah, sounds a bit wimpy, but still the same, it was getting old.

Now, I have a Ultra with a high volume exhaust to help give me some performance, custom mapping, etc... However, I do have one awesome stereo system with everything from XM to CD's. I've replaced the exhaust noise to music which I can control with a little movement of the thumb!

......Nothiing like the sound of a Harley.:bigsmiley8:

Back