free website stats program "Loud" Exhaust Experiences | Harley Davidson Forums

"Loud" Exhaust Experiences

JDPEagle

As part of my recent Stage 1 upgrade, I installed a “new” set of Screamin’ Eagle II slip-on mufflers (the ones that are no longer being sold by H-D after June 2006). The tone is amazing; however, I don’t think it is anywhere near the obnoxious or obtrusive level (in my opinion). It finally sounds like what I feel a Harley should. Unfortunately, it has that EPA mandated verbiage stamped on the bottom; “… does not meet EPA standards… not for use on the street… if you use these, the next 4 generations of your family will be shunned… blah blah blah.” I see myself as a God-loving, and law abiding guy… although I do admit to occasionally removing an offending tag from a newly purchased pillow (don’t report me!), and maybe exceeding a posted speed limit here or there.

I know that the “debate” of exhaust “noise” has been fielded many times over the various forums and internet articles. My issue is with practicality and fellow H-D rider’s experiences. When enjoying a typical afternoon ride (and I’m not talking about trying to set new land speed records or participating in a game of “how many car alarms can I set-off"), have you encountered an inquisitive LEO or been cited for having these “Scarlet Letters” etched into your chrome? Worse yet, has anyone fallen victim to an actual road-side noise metering device?

Like I mentioned before, I am not trying to start a “war of words” over the intent or letter of the law, but merely posing the request to hear of your experiences with this particular issue. I don’t really want to start wearing a shirt that says, “Loud Pipes Save Troubled Municipal Budgets.”

I have V&H on mine and they are "loud" and would not be permitted for me to have if the law passes. I guess I will just have to pay tickets one after another. I love the way they sound and there are plenty of cars with exhaust and crazy sound systems in them that are louder then my Harley. I will have to say that a Harley sounds 100 times better then a little 4 cylender with a fart cannon exhaust. They sound like a mad bumble bee going down the road.

I also have the stage 1 and the Screaming Eagle II's. First, I love the sound. I could just sit there and listen to it idle forever. In this weather that just may happen...........:(

Personally I don't think they are too loud and I hate those obnoxiously loud bikes. I am however a rather conservative rider. I don't "get on" the throttle at every stop light nor do I accelerate passed everyone at warp 3. I think a lot of the noise is related to how a bike is ridden.

I just bought this bike in December and it was one of the quietest I heard that day while trying a few out. I don't think it is much louder than stock pipes. My neighbor has a Road King and my wife says we sound quite a bit alike driving by.

That is just my 2 cents worth. After adjustment for inflation-----$.0003

Try parking garages ,its music to the ears , the exhaust sound is 50xxxx LOUDER, Then just as its sounds so sweet those darn car alarms going off everywhere, theres nothing better then seeing 8 to 10 secirity guards running at you and waving there hands as lights and horns flash from 60 to 70 cars , then pass by the next day and see a fresh new sign NO Motorcycles allowed ,:lolrolling

Havent personaly been ticketed but I have seen others get them.Last year the police set up a road stop at an offramp to get to Americade in NY.Apparently they where targeting pipes and helmets.A few years back they passed a law in Mass. concerning decible noise.They where targeting loud stereos as well as exhaust however it turns out none of the cruisers where issued decible meters so the whole thing kinda got forgot about.I think its just a cash cow for Laconia and other major events.I have aftermarket pipes on my bike and can honestly say there is more than one guy I ride with who is not allowed on my left side.Some people take the loud pipes a bit too far.

As part of my recent Stage 1 upgrade, I installed a “new” set of Screamin’ Eagle II slip-on mufflers (the ones that are no longer being sold by H-D after June 2006). The tone is amazing; however, I don’t think it is anywhere near the obnoxious or obtrusive level (in my opinion). It finally sounds like what I feel a Harley should. Unfortunately, it has that EPA mandated verbiage stamped on the bottom; “… does not meet EPA standards… not for use on the street… if you use these, the next 4 generations of your family will be shunned… blah blah blah.” I see myself as a God-loving, and law abiding guy… although I do admit to occasionally removing an offending tag from a newly purchased pillow (don’t report me!), and maybe exceeding a posted speed limit here or there.

I know that the “debate” of exhaust “noise” has been fielded many times over the various forums and internet articles. My issue is with practicality and fellow H-D rider’s experiences. When enjoying a typical afternoon ride (and I’m not talking about trying to set new land speed records or participating in a game of “how many car alarms can I set-off"), have you encountered an inquisitive LEO or been cited for having these “Scarlet Letters” etched into your chrome? Worse yet, has anyone fallen victim to an actual road-side noise metering device?

Like I mentioned before, I am not trying to start a “war of words” over the intent or letter of the law, but merely posing the request to hear of your experiences with this particular issue. I don’t really want to start wearing a shirt that says, “Loud Pipes Save Troubled Municipal Budgets.”

He said posing...:bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

had the screamin eagles on, pulled the baffles just for kicks, rode one time and put them back in, ears ringing for an hour, don't know how guys ride with the really loud exhaust, make ya go deaf real quick, put on V&H big radius, love these things, got a real nice rumble but not obnoxios, delray beach cops writing tickets, ft, lauderdale beach has big sign at north end, no problems there yet, too many old geezers complaining about it down here, I see real problems comming in near future,

My Sporty was running with straight Drag Specialites pipes, didn't mind the sound at all, but Coline riding out back said they were LOUD, that and the setting off 4 car alarms every morning about 7:30AM going to work. :bigsmiley31:

Only reasons they seemed not so loud is they exit sideways behind my ears by about a foot and 6" off the tarmac. Fitted some baffles (tubes with bunch of indented holes) that were 12" long about 4" back from the exits and now I don't set the car alarms off anymore, and my gal asked last weekend what I did to quiet them down. They are still sound loud, but the deep bass note that hit you in the chest when walking around the bike IS less. :small3d019:

Last edited:
I have V&H shorties on mine... routinely set off car alarms (never on purpose, I actually try very hard to be "quite" in my neighborhood) especially in parking garages. Denver has the strictest laws for pipes, the EPA fine is $500. I love 'em, wish I could make them louder. Many times I have heard the bikes behind me before I ever heard them. Probably saved their lives, probably saved mine in the same manner.

Back