free website stats program Looking for suggestions on 6 speed, 05FLHRp | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for suggestions on 6 speed, 05FLHRp

i have an 05 rkp, mph vs rpm is the same as my buddy's 2000 uk. his might be a 4 speed...........bw

I'm thinking of putting a six speed in my 05 road king. It's a police bike and has lower gearing than a normal bike. Engine revs higher at same speed next to similar bikes. I'd like input on wheather a six speed is good idea or should I change my compensator sproket?

You probably have the 3:37 gearing in the police bike. Your best approach would be to simply use the OEM 2002-up gearing which provides 3:15 gearing. This will included the installation of Countershaft Sprocket 24 tooth and the Cutch Basket 37 tooth. Your speedo will continue to register correct.

Additionally, there is a demand for the 3:37 setup, why not just swap out the 3:37 for the entire 3:15 setup, who knows you may get a little boot.
Even if you have to purchase the two items you will only be spending somewhere around 300.00 to 350.00 much less than the 6 speed.

If you want to see what the new setup will be like just demo any 2002 up to 2006 dresser and you will have the answer.

Sure want be the first time this has been done. :D

I'm thinking of putting a six speed in my 05 road king. It's a police bike and has lower gearing than a normal bike. Engine revs higher at same speed next to similar bikes. I'd like input on wheather a six speed is good idea or should I change my compensator sproket?

I think you can change the front tranny pulley..couple teeth bigger would lower the rmp, or the clutch basket kit that was mentioned would be a good way too as an alternative to the six speed. There is a 7 speed out now with a real overdrive. Some of the six speeds have overdrive also.

Six speed boils down to whether you want to go thru the expense...after that if you still want the six speed.:s

Next is application to determine whether 1:1 or Overdrive sixth depending on your need for power gain (1:1) or can live without towing trailer, only solo riding (overdrive) w/ fuel mileage and economy driving that sixth gear selection.:D

I think you can change the front tranny pulley..couple teeth bigger would lower the rmp, or the clutch basket kit that was mentioned would be a good way too as an alternative to the six speed. There is a 7 speed out now with a real overdrive. Some of the six speeds have overdrive also.

Hmmm. The Baker DD7 actually has more gearing for the lower speed application of power rather than an overdrive. The 7th gear ratio is 1:1 like their DD6 or the HD 6-spd:

The Baker DD7 transmission will have the following ratios: 1st (3.76), 2nd (2.75), 3rd (2.06), 4th (1.55), 5th (1.27), 6th (1.10), 7th (1.00).

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00).

DD6 Standard Ratios (w/o 28T Comp Sprocket)
3.77, 2.56, 1.87, 1.44, 1.15, 1.00
NOTE: 28-tooth comp sprocket supplied with DD6.

Over-drive transmission are something less than 1:1 on the final drive like .89, .86 or .80 (deep over-drive from Baker).

TQ

Is it possible to just change the comp sprocket to lower the ratios a bit? I would like 1st gear to be a bit slower and don't mind losing some top end.

Is it possible to just change the comp sprocket to lower the ratios a bit? I would like 1st gear to be a bit slower and don't mind losing some top end.

I don't see why not,,,, The spedo would work fine,,, Personally i have not done a HD that way. On my other bikes (dirt) I just change out the rear chain sprocket or tranny sprocket. I know they make different front and rear sized belt tooth pulleys for the HD.. Maybe some one here KNOWS the best way to do it.. Belt sprockets atin Small changes will work with the existing Belt, But IF you go big change you'll have to change out the belt size.... 200$$ and a Lot of work.

signed....BUBBIE

geezer, I PM'ed you

Thanks for the reply Bubbie. I don't need to go 100+ mph anymore but would like to putt around slower at times. I'm sure the experts here know the best way to get it done. I've done the same as you with the rear sprockets on smaller bikes.

Here's what the old HD primary gearing set looked like, out of a 06 S/E catalog. They were nice in a heavy bike with a 6-speed.

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO RACE USE PRIMARY GEARING KIT
This is the kit that will help you get the holeshot at the race
track. This kit increases vehicle acceleration by allowing
the engine to spin higher RPM at any given vehicle speed.
This new combination results in a 1.7:1 primary drive ratio,
versus the stock 1.44:1 ratio. Requires separate purchase
of Primary Cover Gasket. Kit includes 21 tooth compensator
(25 tooth is stock) sprocket and primary chain. For
race application only.
40331-02 Fits ’94-later Softail®
and ’94-’05 Dyna models. $134.95
40200-02 Fits ’94-later Touring models (’99-’01
fuel-injected models require 36
Tooth Clutch P/N 37707-98A). $134.95

raceprimary.jpg

Any body smart enough to figure the RPM change in that gearing on choppers post above??

1.44 stock to 1.70 , 4 tooth is a lot.

Or would it be Trial and error?

Might be fun JUST to try...:newsmile017: off the line and Gone..

signed....BUBBIE

Back