free website stats program List of repairs to your bike - what are we all in for - no mods - just repairs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

List of repairs to your bike - what are we all in for - no mods - just repairs

Fixed broken headlight and fork leak, both on warranty. I think both caused by dealership not doing a proper installation/inspection prior to selling it to me.

Nothing on my 08 1200R, 09 Fat Bob and 10 UC Limited. My wife's 07 SE Ultra is a different story...heated handlebars died, bad ignition switch, CB unit fried, heated seat wiring replaced. Now when you use the CB, it kills the speedometer, which in turn renders your cruise inoperative. This winter the compensator is being replaced. It sounds just plain horrible as it turns over and cracks and clanks. Once in a while it starts on the first try, but generally it takes 2 tries to get it started. When I ordered my 2010 Limited, I got the 255 cams and SE compensator installed before delivery. The parts guy asked why I did the compensator when I picked it up. The dealer told me last week he has had a couple bikes come in that had to have the compensator replaced because they sounded bad like my wife's bike does. Information I have learned on this forum has been very valuable. Thanks everyone.

'03 RKC

Bought in Sept 09, w/ 10K mi on it. Most of miles went on in 1st 2 years. Got varnished up before I got it. Lots of issues, until recently replaced all fuel delivery (pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator, inner fuel lines, check valve, outer fuel line, fuel injectors. Immediate problem was sticky fuel pressure regulator, pure luck to find it in stuck state), to purge varnish.

Holes in inner fuel line, leak in primary clutch shaft seal, exhaust seal leak, cracked rear headpipe, broken left rear muffler bracket, caught a rock in drive belt, sticking pistons in front brake calipers, intermittent wacky speedometer, intake seal leak, loose/worn handlebar bushings.

Finally, should be all caught up. Lots of upgrades along the way, but not material to this thread. Should be good to go for a good long time from here.

Enjoy,
Rich P

08 RG with over 40K. The rear wheel bearings went out at 16K other then that it has just been normal maintenance.

I would like to contribute my experience HD's

Had: 1 x Road King and currently on 6th Ultra (This one is 103 Limited Edition) All done between 20 to 25,000 miles, always two up, sometimes very heavily loaded for 2 to 3k miles at a time.

Problems:

Road King: Broken clutch cable (manufacturing fault). Replaced free but had to fit myself due to lack of workshop time at shop and I needed bike for holidays.

Ultras: One of them suffered from intermittent cutout and sometimes would not start. Fixed under warranty.

Beyond that, at the risk of tempting fate, no other problems.

Also, we once hired one and covered 3k miles in very hot temps, North east Australia trip. It had done 60k miles when I picked it up. Didnt' use a drop of oil.

We have probably spent to much money, than is sensible, to buy them, but they have given my missus and myself great pleasure and hope they will continue to so.

2007 Ultra Classic: 48K miles.
Cruise control repaired under warranty.
Cracked rear header at "y", replaced myself.
Added TFI/Stage one and IDS myself.

The compensator just started to get "loud" when I take off in first gear so I may be looking into that. (don't know if I would go with the SE model or replace with an orginal.....I did get ~50K out of the original.)
Since I am coming up on 50K I am thinking about the fork and head bearing service. I don't know if I want to try and tackle that myself or let the dealer do it.

Back