free website stats program Leather Jackets | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Jackets

Leather does also, when things go wrong, have the ability to slow you down faster than other materials but not so fast that it makes you tumble. A bit like ABS I suppose.
Tests reveal denim is second best but avoid nylon and other synthetics as they will melt and will do more harm than good.

If you're looking for a good quality leather flight jacket like in days of old - try L.L. Bean. I have one of the destressed leather, brown in color, with snap collar. Feels great with elastic wrist and waist bands. Reasonable in price too.

A couple years ago I was first on the scene of a harley vs car accident. The bike layed down and slid for about 50-75 yds on top of his leg. He was wearing chaps and a leather jacket. The chaps didn't protect his leg from getting broken, but after 50-75 yds of sliding with the bike on top of his leg, the chaps did their job and prevented any road rash. He didn't even have a tear in his pants. I've been wearing chaps ever since. I don't plan on laying my ride down any time soon, but I'm sure that guy didn't plan on it either. His leather jacket also protected his arms and back from getting any road rash.

That EVIL WICKED UGLY MEAN CRUEL (*&^%$% that scrubed my raw wounds with a scrub brush was the antichirst man ! I'd rather went through the crash again :bigsmiley15: Ok, maybe not that bad, but we did not make out afterwards.

take this as a testimonial
wear your leather. I hit a guard rail 2 years back. good eyewear good helmet good jacket saved me from a lot of pain walked (rather limped) away with a broken ankle nothing else. Jacket saved me from road rash and probably a hold lot more.

It's gotta be a biker jacket. A real, built for motorcycling jacket has stiffer and thicker leather. It can still be soft to touch if treated well and of high quality.
I made the mistake when I was younger of wearing a leather jacket that wasn't made specifically for bikers. A simple spill on gravel going around a corner in the spring left me with road rash all up one arm as the sleeve slid up my arm. My jeans provided almost no protection as my butt and legs were torn and scraped to the meat. That was a relatively low speed spill. I can't imagine a high speed wipeout in jeans and a t-shirt!:cry
Biker jackets have zippers on the forearms not for style, but function. The zipper allows the forearms to fit tighter and not allow the leather to slide up your arm in a slide. Gloves and boots that cover the ankle are a must as well.

I come from a sportbike past, so gear is no brainer for me. I found a great deal on craigslist for a practically new FXRG leather jacket that I absolutely love. It has armor and vents, so it is comfortable even on the 90deg days. I never ride without it...

-Wardster

I wear leather to look good and stay warm (Ride in Canada) I (knock on wood) have not been in an accident or dropped a bike in over 35 yrs. of riding. Hope never to do either, and yes there are people out there who do ride without incident.

I wear leather to look good and stay warm (Ride in Canada) I (knock on wood) have not been in an accident or dropped a bike in over 35 yrs. of riding. Hope never to do either, and yes there are people out there who do ride without incident.

There's an old saying "There's only 2 kinds of bikers (Riders) on the road. Those who have been down and those that will"

Back