free website stats program Leather Jackets | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Jackets

Leather is more protective than textile or mesh jackets. The most important things to look for when shopping for leather are shock absorption and abrasion resistant. I have found that Alpine star and Joe Rocket make the most protective ones in the event of a crash.

I read a report..wish I could remember where it came from...was done by a independent lab...Leather vs Denim....on a skid across pavement the denim wore through in 4 foot...and leather went 85 foot before it contacted what would have been your skin...a real eye opener.:shock

Anyone out there with a Fox Creek Jacket? What do you think about them?

I ordered one. It was well built and very comfortable. I didn't particularly care for the styling and returned it. Lots of people seem to like it and I read a great review on it.

Last year on 7/23/2007 one mile from the house a ladies dogs shot out of her property with no warning. I Tboned a 110 lbs. dog that put me endo at 50 mph. I ate 80 ft of pavement, no helmet, and stood up in the road,, almost naked. My leather jacket was literally shredded off me. Pants clung on by threads and shoes scuffed to the sock. That $600 jacket saved me a lot of pain. :51:

Leather protects in other ways also, During those rides long hot rides in hot dry climes even though it may be a little warm it prevents the wind from drying out the skin and wicking away moisture causing dehydration. I've seen some of my co-riders get really bad wind burn on thier arms and necks. Those blisters take a long time to heal. I may be mistaken, but I arrive at my destination feeling pretty relaxed when wearing the leathers than just a shirt and jeans IMO - once moving I feel cooler with the leathers on and riding through the heat off the pavement than with just a shirt on.

I am for the leather jacket! it is not a cool thing as some may think. in the Georgia State driving booklet, the GSP recomends the leathers for your protection while on a bike. I have had several, I am not into all the zippers and biker image that goes with the leathers. I resolved back to my military days of the old leather flight jacket....yea it does not fit any more, But..go online to american mystic and look at their quality leather jackets. the flight jacket as well as the biker jackers....excellent product...I wear mine all the time riding.

Yea don't you just love the feeling you get when the folks at the ER are picking Gravel out of your Butt? Never Had to have it done to me ,though have seen a few that had to . A little picking and scrubing with a nylon bristle brush ,made me want to leather when I ride My bike . Take it from a old road dog EMT,it is nothing you want to go through,most less watch.

Back