free website stats program Leather Care Products | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Care Products

Re: RE-did the Saddlebags

Great looking results. Where did you purchase the product?

The Local Tandy Leatherworks store in Knoxville. I'm sure most large towns have the Franchise. The USMC black was on sale for just 1.99 a bottle, cheap!

Plain old saddel soap, a little Kiwi leather dye after some time for touch ups.
latter I will post picture of 11 year old bages that have been ridden in rain snow ice and more sun than you can beleave a still look great
Leather New and/or saddle soap is the only stuff you should use on leather. Be very careful not to put products that contain silicone. The silicone will seal the pores in the leather and makes it feel nice and smooth and shiny but will cause the leather to crack which cannot be repaired. Been there done that. Wet soft sponge and foam up saddle soap and spread generously. Let dry and buff. That's the secret.

Leather New and/or saddle soap is the only stuff you should use on leather. Be very careful not to put products that contain silicone. The silicone will seal the pores in the leather and makes it feel nice and smooth and shiny but will cause the leather to crack which cannot be repaired. Been there done that. Wet soft sponge and foam up saddle soap and spread generously. Let dry and buff. That's the secret.

Agree on saddle soap, you can also use lanolin containing products with no ill effects to the leather.

I just use Saddle Soap to clean. and then a liberal amount of Neetsfoot Oil. Let it absorb in overnight, and then wipe off the excess the next morning. Bags look and feel like new always. If I get a scuff or something, I dab on some Doc Baileys, but this doesn't happen very often.

It's "oil" so rain beads up and rolls off. etc.

Exact same thing for Boots.

Bob:read

" Kiwi Scuff magic" for faded leather. It is liquid with the foam applicator made on the bottle. It works great on boots and seats too. I still use it on my tires. It drys well and not slippery like other products and does not collect dust. Makes your sidewalls nice and shiny and will last through many washings.
For softening leather jackets, boots and chaps I use mink oil. I always heat it with a hair dryer after applying to make it soak in.
Careful with too much softening for road rash protection you want your leathers a bit stiff so they don't shred. For stiffening I use Beeswax or Sno-seal.

Old thread, but I had to check if I was doin anything right
I've always grown up with the fact that I can use some mild hand soap and just rinse and gently try to wipe down the leather.... I haven't ever had any problems with that. Only good results ... I guess you don't always need to go fancy... then again I don't have a fox creek leather jacket, I got Mens Motorcycle Jackets - Biker Jacket Galore
so it doesn't matter.

Re: RE-did the Saddlebags

I use mink oil on leather bags, chaps, jackets etc. On boots I use polish and silicone spray.

Back