free website stats program Lack of Power | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lack of Power

Look around the area of the belt for a pinched wire / take the side cover off and look around in there. Some HD Tech's/monkey's don't pay attention sometimes.

Hi you mentioned that the bike thru the belt. I agree with maine axe inspect for pinched torn or pulled wires, if there is a ground wire remove & clean & retighten also check any connectors close by to see if any wires are loose in housing - if the wires are pulled and a weak/loose connection it could create a high resistance to EFI system or a back feed . also did the belt shred - if so check to make sure no belt material behind sprockets. good luck garve

With one black plug and a loss of power I would think you've got no spark at that cylinder. Check your plug wires are OK and seated well.

With one black plug and a loss of power I would think you've got no spark at that cylinder. Check your plug wires are OK and seated well.

We are all just guessing, as other have stated, but I agree looking at something electrical, even though it can be frustrating. CDN Bigfoot's diagnosis seems so simple it makes me want to believe that this where the problem is.

I had a similar issue on my truck. One little wire in the way back had rubbed the insulation off and was contacting metal. Truck was fine in the evening. When I went out in the morning: no power and it would barely idle (it's a diesel). To make it worse, I moved the wire around a bit (not knowing it was the problem at the time, as I was checking all sorts of things) and then it became intermittent. Sometimes the wire would touch, sometimes it wouldn't. Took be 2 days and a head of hair to find it...

Good luck and remember: take a step back and walk away if you get frustrated. In the end you are going to learn something and if you post it, so will we.:s

As well as suggestions above, check the oil level. If there's too much oil the crank will wallow and make bike feel like theres no power. I know you didn't mention changing oil but know that has been a problem. Just a suggestion.

check the crank sensor i had this happen to my 03 flhtcui a piece of metal put nick in it had to pull the motor had a broken oil pump

Thanks Gunman done that.

Have been thinking about the problem and would welcome comments on the following.

My cam chain tensioner disintegrated in Redding, CA last summer...a lot of noise. But not just that, the indy that installed the gear driven cams commented that the original gear on the crankshaft split and damaged the crank end but that he filed the burr to allow the new gear to fit. This tells me that there may then have been clearance there and the possibility that the gear could move. My question is: if the crank reacted when the belt snapped could it have caused this gear to move a couple of degrees. I'm nearly sure that the gear would then be lagging the crank and the ignition timing would be out so the inlet valve would not be opening in time for the firing sequence to burn the fuel efficiently thereby causing unburnt carbon deposits as I am finding and resulting lack of power.

Am I way out here or can anyone correct my analysis or even expand on it further.
Grateful for any comments.

Cheers,

Willie

Thanks Gunman done that.

Have been thinking about the problem and would welcome comments on the following.

My cam chain tensioner disintegrated in Redding, CA last summer...a lot of noise. But not just that, the indy that installed the gear driven cams commented that the original gear on the crankshaft split and damaged the crank end but that he filed the burr to allow the new gear to fit. This tells me that there may then have been clearance there and the possibility that the gear could move. My question is: if the crank reacted when the belt snapped could it have caused this gear to move a couple of degrees. I'm nearly sure that the gear would then be lagging the crank and the ignition timing would be out so the inlet valve would not be opening in time for the firing sequence to burn the fuel efficiently thereby causing unburnt carbon deposits as I am finding and resulting lack of power.

Am I way out here or can anyone correct my analysis or even expand on it further.
Grateful for any comments.

Cheers,

Willie

The big Machined Flat Spot on the crank would of really had to be damaged a lot and Filed a lot to make a difference here.. Looking at my book 2000 on the crank to cam gear drive.
IMHOpinion, it is probably Not the problem. If you pull the cam cover to inspect the gear to crank area, that should show if it has moved. A small amount would affect Both cams and cyl. not just one.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the reply Bubbie and you make a good point, it would affect both cams and therefore both cylinders.

Could it be the rings on the front?

I'm totally confuzzled at this stage so I think it's time to bring it to the "experts"

I wanted to get a big bore 95" kit installed but am reluctant until I find the problem.

Willie

Back