free website stats program Just Two Questions Please . . . | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Two Questions Please . . .

Glider: Based solely on my own experience I must respectfully disagree with you; provided it is done right I do not see that the belt longevity would be affected - the way I do it is to twist until significant resistance is felt (Schooner: just the way you are assuming), and then let go, with 45 degrees as the target... I do not force it 'hard'.

Not a problem however any damage that may occur is internal and will not be seen.

It's like a radial tire that has a bulge on the sidewall. The cord or belt damage isn't visible but it still in fact exists.

... .... ..... ....
Question; is the belt tensioner gauge made for the old belts or the newer, Kevlar ones? ... .... ... .. ..

Wow 20yrs out of belt I had no idea they lasted that long, how many miles was that ?

The belt gauge works off of lbs of tension, however it only shows 10lbs of increment. If your manual says 10lbs then yes the tool will work. It's belt cup is wide enough for just about any belt.

You could probably even mount it in vise (carefully) and calibrate some other ft lb marks on it with some weights.

You know I used to have an old Sears riding mower that had a belt that ran the variable speed drive and it (OEM design) was mounted where it was twisted all over the place under there. I kept thinking it was going to wear out from the constant friction of slower speeds but it outlasted the tractor.

Not disputing that belt people state not to twist, just remembering. They are probably talking about more brutal twisting but additionally it may have something to do with warranty coverage issues. Anyhow I'm sure Schooner will get his money's worth out of this thread.

The Deed Is DONE ~ I Bought The Tool .

Hey Guy :)

I danced around with NOT buying the Belt Tension Tool Too long.

Thanks to guys like yourself; showing me the RIGHT WAY to do things.
Bought it yesterday 4/12/'11 it probably will be in the mail over this weekend.

Whew ~ Its a DONE DEAL ~ Horay :newsmile108:
Now I go to learn how to use the sucker . . . lol

To be continued; Film @ 11

Schooner in your case I would definitely recommend getting the belt tension tool. I have one, and it sounds like I'm not the only one, though many locals tell me they don't use it. But if you are in doubt get the tool. The link that Tbones gave is only like $10, that is the cheapest I have ever seen that tool. I would buy if I were you. You will find it's get used more than every two years.

But also use the tool as recommended in the manual, this is important since each bike's belt tension distance is different. I (as many on this forum do) set my belt just a tad more slack than what specs call for. It is better to err on the side of loose than tight.

Also I have also heard of the twist method and have checked it and it does agree with the belt tension tool setting, but Jack says the belt salesman told him it was not good to twist the belts. Anyhow I would get the tool, at $10 bucks it will give you many yrs of good belt tension.

I always set my belt tension first, trying to turn each side the same. Then I set my alignment. If I have to turn one side very much to get aligned then I check the belt again.

Wow 20yrs out of belt I had no idea they lasted that long, how many miles was that?

RWB: Well, the mileage is a bit uncertain on this scoot, but it must be well north of 100k km (60-70k miles). One thing is the mileage, but also time is of essence when considering rubber break-down. It looks so good, I would probably have continued using if I hadn't gone into a relatively complete re-built of the scoot - including re-gearing it.
It is an int'l model, meaning primary gearing 24/37, secondary 32/61 for an overall (tranny direct) ratio of 2.94. I'm now going for a 66T wheel pulley yielding 3.18 total gearing...

On an '85 that belt could have been on for a lot of miles. Unless you know how many miles are on the belt and if it has stretched that much I think I would seriously consider a new one.

Back