free website stats program Just Two Questions Please . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Two Questions Please . . .

schooner

Hi Guys (Its The Newbie Again & Again ) :newsmile026:

Question No.1 How do I adjust the belt on my '85 lectra Glide Classic ?
As you can see from the attachment it's LOOSE.

Question No.2 What kind of RIVET is this ? Its pretty BIG. It attaches my license plate railing to the frame.

Pic.#1. Is the way I think to adjust the belt. Those adjusting bolts/nuts are on either side of the swingarm ~ Right/Wrong ?

Pic.#2. Is that BIG RIVET locked onto the black part of my frame.

Pic.#3. Belt has NOT BEEN TIGHTENED to specs. Just laying on the spocket.

HELP :wall ! ! !

Attachments

• ADJUSTING BELT.jpg
    ADJUSTING BELT.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 119
  • BIG RIVET.jpg
    BIG RIVET.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 124
  • LOOSE BELT.jpg
    LOOSE BELT.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 114
Hi Guys (Its The Newbie Again & Again ) :newsmile026:

Question No.1 How do I adjust the belt on my '85 lectra Glide Classic ?
As you can see from the attachment it's LOOSE.

Question No.2 What kind of RIVET is this ? Its pretty BIG. It attaches my license plate railing to the frame.

Pic.#1. Is the way I think to adjust the belt. Those adjusting bolts/nuts are on either side of the swingarm ~ Right/Wrong ?

Pic.#2. Is that BIG RIVET locked onto the black part of my frame.

Pic.#3. Belt has NOT BEEN TIGHTENED to specs. Just laying on the spocket.

HELP :wall ! ! !

Adjusting Drive Belts - Harley Davidson Community try this, that rivet, drill it out and put a bolt with a self locking nut on with loctite

You use those adjusters to pull back the axle in the swing arm assuming you put the axle through them when you installed it.

The rivet is holding in the chrome piece that gives structural integrity to the rear frame horns where the shocks mount to.

Where's the hand written signs you usually have, I couldn't decipher what you were asking without them.:D

Your belt seems a bit on the loose side :lolrolling

Center My Axle & Big Fat Rivet . . .

Hey My Good Man :)

Glider; That picture you see below is BEFORE I took the rearend off the bike to install new brake pad,new rotor.

Look at the CENTERING OF THE AXLE NUT. I even marked the position with a sharpie. And my belt was just fine. Not too loose & not to tight.

Now after tightening up the adjusters my axle nut is all the to the back of the swingarm :small3d031:

Sure the belt it pretty normal; but I'm concerned about the axle being back to the far end of the swingarm :newsmile026:

More of the story: If I (and I have) centered the axle nut ~ THE BELT IS LOOSE AS HECK. Can't seem to win here @ ALL :small3d031:

Plus to add to all of this craziness ~ I don't have a tool to measure how much SLACK should be on my belt :nosad

NEXT: That BIG FAT RIVET. Hummm... what's really and pain in my neck I NEVER USED a rivet gun in my life. But common sense . . . lol I thought I had tells me that the rivets I have are too small.

What; Where; How do I remedy this situation. The Big Rivet is on top and on the bottom there's (2) two on each side to the frame.

Any suggestions gentlemen ?
And the soga continues :17:

Pictures, Pictures may help hopefully. Double "click" to enlarge pic.

You use those adjusters to pull back the axle in the swing arm assuming you put the axle through them when you installed it.

The rivet is holding in the chrome piece that gives structural integrity to the rear frame horns where the shocks mount to.

Where's the hand written signs you usually have, I couldn't decipher what you were asking without them.:D

Your belt seems a bit on the loose side :lolrolling

Attachments

• AXLE NUT RIGHT SIDE CENTERED.jpg
    AXLE NUT RIGHT SIDE CENTERED.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 65
  • WHAT SIZE RIVET IS THIS.jpg
    WHAT SIZE RIVET IS THIS.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 65
  • EVENLY SPACED NUT.jpg
    EVENLY SPACED NUT.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 61
Hey Schooner, So if I understand you correctly you're saying the with the axle nut more in a forward position prior to removing your rear wheel AND the belt was then sufficiently tight, correct ?

But then after reassembly of the rear wheel your belt is loose and to get it tight it moves the axle nut all the way to the rear of it's travel, correct ?

I am not sure what to say about that IF I understood you correctly. Did you replace the belt?

Also I am one of the few people that actually use a belt tension tool. Most folks do it with their finger test. I bought it because I wasn't sure the lbs per in of my fingers. By I've noticed after using the tool that if I take just 2 fingers and press the first knuckle joints against the belt I can push the same distance of flex as the belt tension tool does.

Yes You're Right On Both Counts . . .

Hey Guy :)

Yes you're correct on with: my axle nut is facing more towards the back of the swingarm. It wasn't that way before I took the wheel off the bike.

Do you have a picture of the BELT TENSIONER. According to my specs on my '85Electra Glide Classic I need to put 10bls presser on the belt with that tool I think you're talking about.

I don't quite get what you said about using your finger to test the tension on you belt. I sure would like to try that ~ but don't get what you're saying in how to do that. Maybe you can explain it differently so this dumb ox can get it.

Hey Schooner, So if I understand you correctly you're saying the with the axle nut more in a forward position prior to removing your rear wheel AND the belt was then sufficiently tight, correct ?

But then after reassembly of the rear wheel your belt is loose and to get it tight it moves the axle nut all the way to the rear of it's travel, correct ?

I am not sure what to say about that IF I understood you correctly. Did you replace the belt?

Also I am one of the few people that actually use a belt tension tool. Most folks do it with their finger test. I bought it because I wasn't sure the lbs per in of my fingers. By I've noticed after using the tool that if I take just 2 fingers and press the first knuckle joints against the belt I can push the same distance of flex as the belt tension tool does.

Re: Yes You're Right On Both Counts . . .

... ... ... ... ...
Do you have a picture of the BELT TENSIONER. According to my specs on my '85Electra Glide Classic I need to put 10bls presser on the belt with that tool I think you're talking about.

I don't quite get what you said about using your finger to test the tension on you belt. I sure would like to try that ~ but don't get what you're saying in how to do that. Maybe you can explain it differently .. ... .. ...

Hi Schooner, I probably did not word that very good, the best I can remember I just took 2 fingers and stuck them together and pressed up on the belt. Now that I think about it I actually pushed the tips of the 2 fingers against the belt, but my first finger joints flexed abit.

But anyhow I don't really think I could have pushed the belt up any farther even with 3 fingers. So in other words if you get the belt where you can't press it up any further than the manual specs with 2 or 3 (of my fingers) then you have matched the 10lbs of pressure that my belt gauge exhibits.

If you can press it up futher than the specs distance, then you need to tighten the belt some. The link to the tool that TBone gave is an excellent price on it. I think I paid more than that for mine. If you are not sure of how much pressure YOUR fingers are pressing then you might want to the tool. But again most folks told me that I was wasting my money on the tool that they just used their fingers. I just wanted to make sure since I had never adjusted a belt before, only chains. Hope this helps you.

As to why your axle nut is so far back (unless you replaced the belt with the wrong one) I don't have an answer for that. When you ckeck the belt tension you can do it with the bike on the jiffy stand or have a rider sitting on the bike whichever accomplishes a straight inline swing arm. Basically you want the swing arm to be close to straight inline with the trajectory of the bike. In other words at fartherest rotation so that ANY suspension movement will then start to bring the axle closer to the front of the bike.

Let Me See If I Understand What You're Saying

Hey Guy

As I tighten-up the belt by using both adjusters equally.
Then why would the wheel be out of line ~ just asking.

With that aligment tool I will only be re-checking the distance of the axle equally on both side. But I did that with the adjusters ?

So I get this other tool or make it somehow and re-check to see if the wheel is in line ~ YES/NO ?

P.S. how the heck do I make the alingment tool ?
If I straighten out a hanger will that do it or a long straigh thin steel rod from
HomeDepot that they sell ?

Thanks for your input. I trying to think about and do what you said. So I can picturre it in my thick head. I looked at that site you sent on the belt tension gauage,
price is not bad either. Guess that's the next $$$$ for me to buy.

Schooner, you can buy the belt tension gauge thru these guys;
Rear Belt Tension Gauge Tool for Harley Big Twin

You can also get this gauge thru Dennis Kirk or J&P Cycles, I just gave you these guys so you could see what it looked like...

When you adjust your belt, you also need to make sure that your wheel is centered in the swingarm. You do this with another tool that measures the distance from the center of the pivot shaft to the center of the rear axle bolt. The distance needs to be equal on both sides. If your wheel is cocked in the swingarm, you will have handling problems. If you have a manual it will show you what this alignment tool looks like, you can make one out of 3/16 tubing with a couple rubber o-rings. Good luck... T

If I may interject real quik, the tool for equal distance can be made from a coat hanger and a small o-ring, its more accurate than measuring the adjusters.

Best thing needed here is a OEM shop manual, money wisely spent.

Back