free website stats program just got new bike home and have a big problem | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

just got new bike home and have a big problem

I think the '06 Dyna's had a problem with the rotor screws shearing or backing out?
Hoople is our resident electrical expert. He doesn't try and spend your money if it's not necessary. If he tells me to replace something, I'm replacing it. :newsmile011:

Cash was the second thing I mentioned in entry point #2. These guys are dead on about changing all the components. Unless you like doing these things twice, I would heed their advice.

Breeze and Hoop have you covered...the bolts or staked rivets or one of the epoxy'd magnets loosen up and catch one of the windings, either way, Hoops failure mode with shorted windings finishes the deed. :(

There's a Company called " Cycle Electric Inc" that make replacement electricals for Harleys-i dont have personal experience of their products but the stuff SURE looks good. I have them bookmarked for our future use.

Loved your cardboard template-it's exactly what i did when i fitted my S.E Compensator.I also used my Wife's hairdrier on max.setting to heat up the bolt holding the Compensator -just wafted the heat around the bolt;nowhere else.Then used a Breaker Bar and gave it the old short,sharp shock with the palm of my hand.And supporting the socket against the nut of course.

The advice you've got about replacing all electrical components is sound advice-failure of one piece mostly affects the others.

Ok so I got the clutch off, went to the compensator and bolt would not budge. I heated it up with a torch and got it off. I read some post and guys used long bolts to pull the rotor off. Mine was loose so I just grabed it and wiggled it off. When I looked at the inside of the rotor there were a bunch of bolts stuck to the magnets. The rotor looked like it had been to (edit) and back. I really want to put it back together right now(it (edit) to buy a bike and not be able to ride it). The dealer was crazy with there regulator prices today. I am trying to find it elsewhere. What do yall think of my improvised tool made out of 1x3...
On another note I installed some 11" lowering shocks from ebay. For $100 I am very impressed. I also put on a 2" tank lift. I really like the way it looks.

Attachments

• IMAG0759.jpg
    IMAG0759.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0761.jpg
    IMAG0761.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG0762.jpg
    IMAG0762.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0765.jpg
    IMAG0765.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
Where did those bolts come from? Do they go inside there and someone put them in finger tight or what?

Enjoy,
Rich P

The dealer was crazy with there regulator prices today.

Strange. My 3 phase 38 amp is $120 (MSRP) but can be purchased for $96 (genuine HD part number 74631-08). Would you know the part number on your 2006 regulator.

Where did those bolts come from? Do they go inside there and someone put them in finger tight or what?
Enjoy,
Rich P

That's the way they were assembled in 2006. Two piece rotor bolted together. That was the only year they did it that way.

You can try a non HD shop (indy) and buy a chrome voltage regulator from drag specialties for around $120 I think,thats what I paid cheaper on line J&P cycles ships pretty quick if your not in too big a hurry...

Back