free website stats program just got new bike home and have a big problem | Harley Davidson Forums

just got new bike home and have a big problem

About a week ago I bought a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide with 7700 miles. When I went to check it out, it was really dirty. The owner was honest and said it would not hold a charge. He said he put a new regulator on but that did not fix the problem. While there looking at the bike, I pulled up hdtimeline on my phone. After 20 minutes of reading it seemed like the 2006 Dyna stator and rotor were common problems. I went down to the auto parts store and bought a new battery. Threw it in and she fired right up. Check engine light was on. I rode it about 2 miles down the street and turned around. The battery light came on when i pulled back into the driveway. The bike ran well. I went through all six gears and got it up to about 70 mph. A buddy told me to let the bike run with the headlight on and rev up the motor and see if the light got brighter with higher rpm's. The light stayed the same no matter what rpmthe motor was at. The seller was asking $7500 for the bike. When I say it was dirty I mean filthy. He lived very close to the beach, and there was some corrosion starting to show in several places. No rust except for some rust specks on the top of the rear fender. Front tire will need to be replaced in about 500 miles. The bike has screamin eagle slip ons and lo-jack. Besides that all stock. I offered him $5000 for the bike, thinking he would counter. But he excepted. This immediately made me really cautious about buying the bike. But I could not resist and decided to take my chances. When I got home I ordered the 2006 dyna service manual and the replacement / updated rotor and stator kit along with primary and derby gaskets. I have preformed maintenance on cars before, things like oil changes, alternators, starters headlights and other small jobs. I have rebuilt carbs on my old dirt bikes and atv's. I have read every post on hdtimeline related to dyna rotors and stators. I really want to tackle this project by myself without dealer involvement. Getting a neglected bike and fixing her up and making her shine, is something I am really excited about doing. Does all of this seem like a doable project? Or should I just get rid of the bike and look for another? Sorry for the lengthy post. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

David

PS: The attached pic is after hours of cleaning.

Attachments

• IMAG0733-2.jpg
    IMAG0733-2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 232
With the HD repair manual, cash, time, and patience this a very doable project. Welcome to the forum!

I am all thumbs. But if it's your dream go for it.
You sound to me like you'll pull it off.
There's alot of good people on this site to help you.
Good luck

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota, as Bodeen said this is a doable home project. Take your time and follow your manual, if you get in a pinch jump on the forum and ask, lots of smart people on here with years of experience.

Scoot looks good cleaned up.

Go for it. You got a good price, even with the replacements you are about to do. Remember, you don't have to remove the inner primary to get the rotor off, loosen it, or grind a little off the 7:00 area. Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum from So. Texas. It looks pretty good after your clean up. The project should be fairly easy with your manual as Jeff said.Good luck and keep us informed.
tourbox

IF you pull the derby cover and give it the Sniff Test...

Usually a bad stator WILL STINK.... Burnt Smell.

It Could be just the Voltage Regulator...

I would not Just toss parts but check first.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Ok so I got started with my repair. When I got the primary cover off there were small copper wires sitting at the bottom of the cover. I am assuming that they are from the stator. I hope they are.

There were pieces of copper wire about two inches long around the chain tensioner.

I made a nifty little cardboard template to mark where each bolt went.

I need to find a write up on the propper procedure to take out the rotor abd stator. The manual is not very detailed.

Attachments

• IMAG0749.jpg
    IMAG0749.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAG0750.jpg
    IMAG0750.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0751.jpg
    IMAG0751.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 184
Which manual are you using? The HD manual is very detailed and IS the one to own.

I do have the HD manual. I am not used to the way the manual works. When I went to the stator replacement it kept referring to other procedures. I think I get how the steps work now. I wish someone had a youtube video of the repair. Removing the chain tensioner and clutch are a little scary. Has anyone done the repair without the block style primary drive locking tool. The write up on HDtalk used a cutting borad to lock the primary. My manual says to not use that tool (HD-41214) . It says to use HD-47977 tool. It is a long skinny piece tha fits between the teeth of the engine and clutch sprocket. I am most nervous about messing up the clutch. Is a clutch adjustment after reinstall normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back